Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438140 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#12383 - 10/15/02 04:12 AM Another update.....
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
Hi guys,

I'm finally going in for surgery on Friday. The mini-stroke I had a few weeks ago sort of upset the plans a bit but it was really all for the best. They wouldn't have found out about the blood pressure problems that the tumor was causing if it wasn't for me being in the hospital for the mini-stroke. I'm still scared. I think I know why though. It all boils down to control and trusting people. In a hospital I have to relinguish a lot of control and I have to trust a lot of people that I don't know. I'm going to the best place (UCSF Med Ctr) and I've got the best docs so I shouldn't be as worried about it as I am. One thing that I remember from when I was 8 or so was that I was in the hospital from a bicycle accident (yes I was crashing bikes even back then). I had been unconcious for a few days and I woke up in the middle of the night in a white bed surrounded by white curtains with dim lights all around. I thought I was dead and in heaven or something. I started yelling and a nurse came in and told me to shut up and gave me a shot. Maybe that's why I avoid hospitals.

To get back to it, intellectually I know that I've done everything that I can possibly do but emotionally I find it very hard to have this much faith in other people. But I guess that I've got to start somewhere.

I'll try to keep happy thoughts about all this anyway. Take care.

Steve

#12384 - 10/15/02 05:19 AM Re: Another update.....
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Stephen
Hi have the same miss trust of doctors and hosptials. I love this
Quote:
when I was 8 or so was that I was in the hospital from a bicycle accident (yes I was crashing bikes even back then). I had been unconcious for a few days and I woke up in the middle of the night in a white bed surrounded by white curtains with dim lights all around. I thought I was dead and in heaven or something. I started yelling and a nurse came in and told me to shut up and gave me a shot. Maybe that's why I avoid hospitals.
Doen"t this show how fucked up it is . You have been out of it for days and all you want and need is love ones but the nurse just wants to get back to her cig . To hell with the Kid lets just put him out.
Sound like you have a good place" I'm going to the best place (UCSF Med Ctr) "
Not sure what UCSF stands for but must be Univercity of Caif which is great. Any good medical school will alse have the lates TEC and the greats people.
The U of MN in 1980 had one of the worlds best micor Surgion teaching there.
I was offered the chance to get my manhood . They would go in and do an 8 hour operation to repair the damage father R did .
What let me have trust and faith in these people was the fact that we sat down and talked about every step of the operation.
Stephen
ASK???????? Do not let them put you off .
If you have the understanding of what will happen then you will be able to give them the trust. The trust which could change you life. Best luck Muldoon

#12385 - 10/15/02 01:20 PM Re: Another update.....
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Good luck Steve, thinking about you.

Lloydy

#12386 - 10/15/02 04:16 PM Re: Another update.....
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Steve:

Trust is tough for us survivors in general. And going into surgery...

You're in good hands. My prayers are with you.

Wuame

#12387 - 10/15/02 09:40 PM Re: Another update.....
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Steve
Just one thing I forgot to tell ya. If UCSF is also an med school you will be in some what of a fishbowl with many people looking over you. Not only the Doctors and interns but also students will be at the end of your bed before and after the operation. I throught it good to have so many minds thinken about my case. You will be in the spotlight so be prepaired for that . You are in my prayers. Muldoon

#12388 - 10/15/02 09:51 PM Re: Another update.....
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Hi Steve,

My prayers will be with you too.

Good physician and nurses and tecs are great. But when it comes to surgery, your own attitude makes a huge difference. Ask the questions you want answers for and insist that they do not tell you stuff you do not want to know, no matter what their legel department says they have to tell you. I cancelled a surgery one morning because of the terror they put me in just doing what they "have to do."

Be as positive as you can, expect the best possible outcome and you have a good shot at getting that. Your attitude is as important as the surgeons skills. I used to teach that stuff and I totally believe it.

Bob

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.