Newest Members
R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6, Johnnygolightly, Stormchaser
12318 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (SailingAway, susie, 3 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12318 Members
74 Forums
63369 Topics
443118 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#123807 - 04/29/05 05:08 PM Scot's Pick O' The Week - 4/29
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Because it's better to look for the weird than choke the s**theads who p**s you off........

SCOT'S PICK O' THE WEEK!

....Open 27 hours a day for your convenience, by way of improbability drive! \:D

Rereading the classics (available at any bookstore - ask for the middle/high school summer reading lists next month)

Remember all those novels written by old people a LOOOOOOONG time ago because you had to and you HATED every minute of it? Boy, I do. Hemingway, Faulkner, Shakespeare, I could go on. They were SOOOOOOOO boring and irrelevant. I couldn't WAIT to finish 'em.

Now, I'm rereading them. And BOY am I glad I am!

Now that I'm an adult, I'm discovering, precisely because I don't HAVE to read them anymore, how deep, provocative, and damn FUN a lot of these books really are! And they stand up to the test of time. They may talk about times past, but the concerns they raise are as important now as they were then.

Such books can also open your eyes to cultures and countries you know nothing about. One of my favorite movies, "Dr. Zhivago," made me want to read the book it was based on. I'm glad I did, because it gave me more of a look into the Russian soul of times between Czarism and Revolution than the movie ever could hope to.

This is true of all the other classics of world and American literature. There are some writers I absolutely love (Fitzgerald, Shakespeare, Dahl, Plato, Ovid) and some I'll NEVER read again if I can do so (Faulkner, Joyce, Burns, Turgenev, Tolstoy), but not a ONE of them was a waste of time, because I learned from them. Now, you see, I have more of a mature critical eye! :rolleyes:

(Another bonus is that the stuff that I read as a kid that was considered "time-wasting trash" to my English teachers are now considered classics. \:D )

A wee list of my favorites to get you started:

The Great Gatsby - Fitsgerald (The BEST American novel, in my opinion)

The Hobbit - Tolkien

The Lord of the Rings trilogy - Tolkien

I, Robot - Asimov

The Foundation Saga - Asimov

Dune - Herbert

I and II Henry IV; Henry V - Shakespeare

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Adams

Metamorphosis - Ovid

The Republic - Plato

The Communist Manifesto - Marx & Engels

The Prince - Machiavelli

Of Mice and Men - Hemingway

The Old Man and the Sea - Hemingway

There are more, but the sport is hunting out the ones from your own past to rediscover. Try it, you'll LIKE it!

Until next time........don't drink the Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster! :p

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#123808 - 04/29/05 07:17 PM Re: Scot's Pick O' The Week - 4/29
LostinPA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lancaster, PA
Scot,
Has anyone thought of trying to have a MS member book club? I too am an avid reader, I think that might be something to consider?
Ric

#123809 - 04/29/05 11:47 PM Re: Scot's Pick O' The Week - 4/29
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Scot
My wife says that I'll read the 'phone directory if there's nothing else for me to read, and she's not far wrong.
I like a lot of the old classics, we learn from the past.

Dave

#123810 - 04/29/05 11:58 PM Re: Scot's Pick O' The Week - 4/29
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby is one of the greatest American novels. I enjoy rereading it each and everytime.

Another I reread on a regular basis is Joseph Heller's Catch-22.

I was suprised not to see any of John Steinbeck's novels on the list. I'm kind of found of The Grapes of Wrath.

Some other notatables that shouldn't be over looked:
Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
and of Mark Twain's stuff
Moby-Dick by Herman Melville
and of Charles Dickens' stuff
and for those that like westerns, Louis L'Amour.

For a bit a prospective: The Bible, The Book of Mormon, Mein Kampf, and the Holy Quran in addition to The Communist Manifesto.

as a side note I have heard rumors that Boris Pastornak's Dr. Zhivago and Heller's Catch-22 had been made into movies. I unfortunately have seen the movie of The Great Gatsby. The Grapes of Wrath didn't turn out too bad though.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.