Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobdaFarmer61 (53), LeeM1974 (40), MATROS48 (57), victor valdez (40)
Who's Online
8 registered (healinglove, JW1230, learning2remember, Dave PNW, 3 invisible), 24 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64007 Topics
446734 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#123400 - 02/16/05 07:46 PM The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
I sent this to Comedy Central today, if you saw the show and agree with what I said then I suggest you do the same. I didn’t take the time to ‘craft’ a really good letter to them because I’m sure it will be dumped in the big bin of too many letters to read, but I think it gets the point across.

Quote:

Last night during the Daily Show, Jon Stewart commented on the Mary Kay Letourneau case where a 34-year-old female teacher had sexual relations with a 12-year-old boy. Jon made a joke that the boy’s name should be “Lucky”

Although he made it sound funny, it is no joke. Would Jon or his writers call a 12-year-old girl lucky if she was having sex with a 34-year-old male teacher? I don’t think so.

This is taken from the MaleSurvivor website and can be found @ http://www.malesurvivor.org/myths.htm

“In reality, premature or coerced sex, whether by a mother, aunt, older sister, baby-sitter or other female in a position of power over a boy, causes confusion at best, and rage, depression or other problems in more negative circumstances. To be used as a sexual object by a more powerful person, male or female, is always abusive and often damaging.”

Please use better judgment in the future, I love the show but that was not cool.
Send yours (unless you feel like looking up the corporate office address) to: the comment department

#123401 - 02/16/05 10:59 PM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Contact Information, including the Vice-President in charge of the Daily Show.

Comedy Central

NY: 1775 Broadway NY, NY 10019
fax:212.767.8592

CA: 2049 Century Park East, Ste. 4170 LA, CA 90067
fax:310.407.4797

Steve Albani
Vice President

(212) 767-8695
steve.albani@comedycentral.com

-Oversees All Series Publicity
-"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"
-Affiliate Relations/Affiliate Marketing Trade Press

#123402 - 02/16/05 11:01 PM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
It scares me a little that you can do that Bill...

Thanks.

#123403 - 02/16/05 11:22 PM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland:
It scares me a little that you can do that Bill...

Thanks.
Ummmm....

Google is a wonderful thing.

#123404 - 02/18/05 06:01 AM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
sadanddown Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Gaboogistan
I think that this kind of humor is just flat out distasteful. I didn't actually see it, but on the news they were talking about Michael Jackson and how he went to the hospital and all for his flu. They said that the comedians were jumping all over it on the late night shows because he went to a pediatrics hospital...all I have to say is that I got a cold chill running up and down my spine when they were sitting there laughing about it.

Jon

#123405 - 02/18/05 05:13 PM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Curtis and others,

I'm e-mailing this guy Albini today. It's NOT proper that he said this. I like the show too, but it's distasteful.

Thanks for bringing it to the attention!

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#123406 - 02/18/05 05:26 PM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here's a copy of the e-mail I sent to Steve Albini:Dear Mr. Albini,

I'm a viewer of Comedy Central, and I enjoy most of your programming, including Jon Stewart's "The Daily Show." Recent remarks on the program concerning the Mary Kay Letourneau case, however, concern me deeply.

I'm a survivor of rape/sexual abuse when I was a child. My abuser was male, but I've come to know a lot of victims whose abusers were female. Mr. Stewart's statement that the boy in the case should be called "lucky," in my opinion, was tasteless and thoughtless.

Male victims of female perpetrators feel even more of a burden from society at large than victims of men. They are conditioned, through the media and other sources, that such conatc is "fortunate" and "a learning experience." Were you or Mr. Stewart to speak to the majority of these victims, however, you'd discover they suffer the same confusion, shame, and sense of violation as other rape victims. Add on the aforementioned public impression, and you have an even more potentially damaging situation.

I encourage you and Mr. Stewart to visit http://www.malesurvivor.org. It's a website dedicated to males who suffered rape and sexual abuse. There, you will find bulletin boards and other information that can tell you that boys raped by women are indeed not "lucky," but as much a victim as a 12 -year-old girl would be from an adult MALE abuser.

Thank you for your time. I'd appreciate you forwarding a copy of this message to Mr. Stweart.

Regards,

Hope he reads it and forwards it to Jon.

Peace and love,

Scot

#123407 - 02/18/05 05:39 PM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
Aden Offline

The ever so enjoyable “Daily Show” has been making light of other peoples serious concerns for a long time now. But just today you noticed? And you want our cause to be treated with more respect? Maybe we should have thought of that during the Conservative Christian Bashing episodes that we all thought were so funny...

By the way, I am not a Conservative Christian so don’t try to justify what I will not defend.

Aden

#123408 - 02/18/05 05:52 PM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

FYI Aden:

If Stewart made the SAME "joke" about a 12-year-old girld and her MALE abuser, there would've been outcry like you wouldn't believe.

So yes, I think sexual assault and rape should be held to the same equal standards, regardless of sex.

Peace and love,

Scot

#123409 - 02/18/05 06:49 PM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Brothers,

If anyone does get a reply to their emails please do post it.

lots of love, Nathan

#123410 - 02/18/05 11:02 PM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
That's just the thing, even the daily show would not have made light of the rape of a twelve year old girl AT ALL. Its not even a matter of the outcry that would occur, because there would NEVER be a joke like that.

I don't care if they bash my political view, my religious view or anything like that, because those are just my opinions. but RAPE is not a joke.

edit:

by the way, there won't be a reply to any of our email.

#123411 - 02/18/05 11:42 PM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
I just called the guy's office, and he is out until the 23rd.

#123412 - 02/19/05 10:37 PM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Here's my letter. Sent both to Mr. Albani and the regular complaint line. I'll fax the letter letter Tuesday after the holiday weekend.

Quote:
Steve Albani, Vice President
Comedy Central
1775 Broadway
New York, NY 10019

RE: COMMENTS ON THE DAILY SHOW

Dear Mr. Albani,

Mr. Jon Stewart’s comments on the Daily Show and as a guest on Hannity and Combs regarding the Mary Kay Letourneau case were absolutely appalling and irresponsible. An adult female having sex with a 12 year old boy is every bit abusive as an adult male having sex with a 12 year old female. The latter would without doubt would not be a joking matter for you, Mr. Stewart, or any other show host.

A 12 year old boy is not “lucky” to be abused as Mr. Stewart has said over and over. They suffer real affects from the abuse, just like any other abuse and rape victim. Affects that are amplified by society’s “oh, he’s lucky” attitude as Mr. Stewart has extended. His joking comments most likely had devastating effects on many men that are suffering such affects by belittling them into thinking they are wrong for having such thoughts.

Conservative estimates put 1 in 6 males have been abused before the age of 18. I am amongst them. Very few of these males ever come forward and seek help for their abuse and its affects. Instead they may turn to alcohol, drugs, other addictions and crime. Mr. Stewart’s comments, as I have said, most likely increased the number that will not seek help. I invite you to learn more about the severity and the reality of the problem of male sexual abuse. Read one of the growing number of books on the subject, books like Victims No Longer by Mike Lew. Learn about it and read the real affects through real stories and real discussions on MaleSurvivor.org, the only national organization for the prevention and treatment of male victims of sexual abuse. When you do that, you will realize that it is no laughing matter and Mr. Stewart and/or yourself should publicly denounce the statement and acknowledge the real problem that sexual abuse of males is.

Respectfully,

#123413 - 02/23/05 02:02 AM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

The response, as expected.

Dear William,

We appreciate your comments and concerns.

As a comedy network, it is our foremost intention to entertain. We are committed to providing our viewers with the most topical and provocative comedy and at times we push the envelope.

One example of this brand of programming is The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, a satire of the evening news, and the day's headlines. Necessarily, this kind of fresh and honest comedy touches on real issues, events, and people of importance to all of us. The interviews and pieces featured on The Daily Show are also meant to give our viewers with the same type of topical and provocative comedy. However, it is never our intention to offend or alienate any of our viewers.

We apologize for having offended you in any way.

Sincerely,
Comedy Central Viewer Services

#123414 - 02/23/05 03:38 AM Re: The Daily Show dropped the ball.. this may make you angry
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
That's pretty interesting since the guy's personal voicemail says he's out of the office till tomorrow.

If I were you, I would call and ask him what's up with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.