Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442051 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#123363 - 02/12/05 05:41 PM If you won the lottery....
grendyl Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: US West Coast
If you won the lottery, had more money than you could spend in a lifetime (if you were a relatively modest spender), would you quit your job?

I am trying to figure out something personally, and I thought getting some opinions here would really be helpful. Thanks.

#123364 - 02/12/05 06:10 PM Re: If you won the lottery....
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
sure! I could always go back to something later, but first I would do a little traveling.

(I could use a little more space in the house too so I would probably go for something a little bigger, but nothing crazy.)

edit:

Actually, I always wanted to start a foundation, so after I was done traveling, I would spend my time manageing that, most likely. Just enough work to keep busy doing something worthwhile.

#123365 - 02/12/05 07:35 PM Re: If you won the lottery....
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
hi grendyl - i have had a lot of financial
blessings in my life - i worked and saved but had not life -

but then i also had good fortune investing and with buying my home - so savings plus house profits plus crazy good investment returns
has given me time to take time off for a bit -

having time for a break - NOT AN INFINITE ONE - makes me realize that i am happiest when i am doing stuff - projects whatever - I have learned to structure my life - when i don't have work - but then - it is even better when i have the opportunity to do something creative - and i need to now - and really look forward to getting back to work -

it would be nice to have the guarentee of the small life that i have - to be taken care of by being independently wealthy - that would give me some 'breathing room' take off some pressure -

but also i think i would still do stuff -
i mean right now i am nourturing my interests and going for what inteterests me rather than being
berated and yelled at for not being whatever the assholes were just tossing out there -

i guess more to the point - i have seen so many times people who get instant wealth - or fame and it overwhelms them - cause honestly - people start to treat you differently -

the only thing we have in life for sure are our interests - i think if i were to have loads of money i would stick with my interests - and keep working at something i was really interested in - the GOOD FOR ME interests - that nourture me in mind - emotions et al -
i mean i have it structured now that i like art - volunteering - and business - that's just me -
i am proud of the fact that i have my act together
so to speak -

view your life - like a big balanced meal so you get all the good stuff - that you want and need -
and that means for better or worse - you are already taking care of your healing - continue to do so - but you will realize that you will want more - we always do -

so to answer your question - i would continue to work - to keep me nourished - and be grateful that i would also have a financial structure that
would be in place that would take care of the essentials - like housing food,insurance and maintenance of all that stuff -

:-)

phew!

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#123366 - 02/12/05 07:52 PM Re: If you won the lottery....
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

don't get me wrong - life would not be and is not all roses - in fact i nearly posted
the most bitter post i ever attempted
in terms of 'significant relationships'
just earlier today -
and if you want to see it i will send it to you - but it ain't pretty - and i am sure you know that -

but in truth
keeping my interests up -
save me time and again -
if alone or with someone -
which doesn't really happen for me too much -
my interests are there - !
and they do the job mostly - or make it all somewhat bearable -

sorry i guess i am kind of going downard -

so i guess i took the serious response to your lovely - and also fun question -

:-) smiles and have a great day!

#123367 - 02/14/05 08:04 PM Re: If you won the lottery....
Bobby Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arizona
Do you see my car in the parking lot? I'm outa here, baby. I can write my book, compose my smphony, start my little theatre company and do it all from my little cabin (about 5000sq ft. ought to do it) on a mountain top near Asheville, NC Do be sure to let us know when you're coming for a visit, so we can have the gates unlocked down by the highway.

#123368 - 02/14/05 08:51 PM Re: If you won the lottery....
sadanddown Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Gaboogistan
Depends on how much I won in the lottery lol \:\)

Nah, for fun lets say its a lot of money....like 100 million or somethin...(tax free of course) Lets see, this is how I would break it down. I'd spend some on travelling, I've always wanted to go to Mongolia and China, so I'd go there. Then I'd probably travel over Europe again, and Russia, except I'd pay for my own personal travel tour guide to help me pick out what to see, plan the trip, and then tell me all the history behind everything we saw.

So...that would be kinda expensive, but I haven't even made a dent in my money really. I'd give about 500 grand to my friend and his family. I'd payoff all my debt and give my brother, sister and parents each 1 million.

Then, I would probably spend most of my time volunteering since I don't need to work. I would live pretty comfortablly, make large donations to charities and work for them.

Yeah...thats what I'd like to do.

Jon

#123369 - 02/15/05 01:35 AM Re: If you won the lottery....
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
I'd stop working overtime at least!

Dave \:D

#123370 - 02/15/05 03:57 AM Re: If you won the lottery....
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Bobby! I used to be a theatre production manager! Can I come work for you if you win the lottery?

#123371 - 02/15/05 09:09 AM Re: If you won the lottery....
brokentoys Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: So. California
If I won the lottery I would only stop at a mailbox on my way out of town to mail in my resignation! We would put our house on our land and spend a year or so fixing it just the way we want it, then travel, then go back to our new home, start a family business and make sure our kids are taken care of! Once the kids are running the business I would work with local charities for abused children.
Broken

Arnold Bennet

#123372 - 02/15/05 04:50 PM Re: If you won the lottery....
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
There is a joke that starts out like this. "If you won the lottery, would you quit your job?" Response, "No, but I'm sure I'd be fired within three days."

As for me, if I won the big jackpot I'd continue working. I do like my job. If I did quit, I'd think of going to college and picking up a degree or two or more. It would also allow me to pursue a hobby that I'm interested in but is a bit pricey for me now. There needs to be something to occupy my time and mind, otherwise where would it go?

#123373 - 02/15/05 05:14 PM Re: If you won the lottery....
Aden Offline

I donít think that many people grasp the concept of instantaneous massive wealth. The question is best answered by another question.

Where does a 500lb gorilla shit?

Anywhere it wants!

#123374 - 02/16/05 01:29 AM Re: If you won the lottery....
Bobby Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arizona
Roland, come on down! Let's do something totally outrageous...something with Shakespeare and Telletubbies perhaps! I think it just might work. Besides, if it doesn't, we've got my lottery money to fall back on. Where else better to land than on a mountain top in North Carolina?

#123375 - 02/16/05 08:46 PM Re: If you won the lottery....
daniel_ Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally posted by grendyl:
If you won the lottery, had more money than you could spend in a lifetime (if you were a relatively modest spender), would you quit your job?

I am trying to figure out something personally, and I thought getting some opinions here would really be helpful. Thanks.
Yes, I would quit, and go to art school.

#123376 - 02/16/05 08:49 PM Re: If you won the lottery....
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
I am very fortunate, in having a job that I truly do 'love', so no, I would not quit it. I would possibly alter it, diminishing some of the time spent away from home, as that is what makes me tired, sick and not happy at times. But I would still be doing much of what I am right now.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#123377 - 02/16/05 10:46 PM Re: If you won the lottery....
lost_in_thought Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
If i won the lottery, i'd be a career student (i love school and learning)

#123378 - 02/16/05 10:51 PM Re: If you won the lottery....
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

ok - i never said totally what i would do -

i think i would move to boston - toronto - or amsterdam and marry some hunk -

fuck it - i may do that anyway -

:-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.