Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
4 registered (watzupwitu, Shyshark, don64, 1 invisible), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63116 Topics
441385 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#123345 - 02/19/05 04:29 PM Re: Need some advice on what Therapist has said
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
BTW, Where is the "Find a T" part of this web page?
i'm gonna be moving cross the country soon.
Thanx for the help
Logan

-Blade Runner

#123346 - 02/19/05 05:32 PM Re: Need some advice on what Therapist has said
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming

#123347 - 02/28/05 04:49 AM Re: Need some advice on what Therapist has said
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Justensmom:
The gender decision can be difficult. What I usually tell the child victims I see is, "Come to see me three times and YOU decide whether you want to come back, but keep an open mind."

This makes a short term commitment with an end in sight. If the therapist can "hook" the child in three visits, the therapy can have a chance. If the child decides he doesn't want to come back, he is not being forced to do something he doesn't want to do.

Another thing to consider, if he believes in Jesus being a good person, was not Jesus a man? Is his father not a man? Not all men are bad.

It's important that he understand that some problems can't be solved by Mom and Dad. You need to have a professional take care of it sometimes.

I don't like forcing kids to be in therapy when they've been abused. It can feel like further victimization when they don't want to. On the other hand, kids don't want to go to the dentist or get shots from the doctor. Sometimes, you have to just do it because it is for your own good. Try the three visit agreement and see if that works, if you can't find a female therapist for him.
Ken

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.