Newest Members
Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive, BCtejas
12495 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
4 registered (GummyBear, 3 invisible), 19 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12495 Members
74 Forums
64162 Topics
447749 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#123321 - 02/04/05 09:39 PM Just venting about ADD
dmcdd Offline

The school called in my wife and I today to tell us that they think our 6 year old boy has ADD and his scholastic career would advance better if we treat it.

To them, "Treat it" means "add another medication to make our jobs easier".

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They want my 6 year old boy on speed. For anyone that doesn't already know, that's how they treat ADD - with amphetamines (or some other cousin drug that ends with 'ine').

Here's a clue teachers - THE BOY IS 6 YEARS OLD AND EXCITED ABOUT SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why he can't stay focused on coloring the bunny or finishing a puzzle... He's been an only child for the first 5 years of life in a neighborhood that doesn't have many other kids. He loves playing with kids, he loves interaction, and he loves school. He's active, he's strong willed, he's intelligent, and he's got a temper. What's their answer to getting him to mind in class? MEDICATION!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I'm gonna need to simmer a while before I decide how best to tella school district to go spit.

#123322 - 02/04/05 09:48 PM Re: Just venting about ADD
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
In my opinion, I totally agree with you. To put a child on narcotics at such a young age is a draconian approach to this.
They put the label on the kid, and just want to knock them out with addictive drugs. I can understand your anger.
Do a google search, there are other approaches, diet etc., that may help.
I wish you luck and hope it works out,

ste

#123323 - 02/05/05 12:12 AM Re: Just venting about ADD
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
dmcdd

If he only has problems focusing at school, and can stay focused and even tempered in other situations, start taking notes-- put the burden on them to explain why your son can color the picture in a restaurant waiting for his food or at home or at grandma's house, but not at school. Maybe they are the ones who need to make some changes.

I also would second r2k4's advice and look at other factors, diet, allergies, have his hearing checked, etc.

Good luck. I have a very active five year old-- she has done well being in a larger-than-average class (with an extra assistant)-- the student/teacher ratio is a little better and they are able to do a lot of small group work, which I think is better for her than working with the whole class at once. I think it also helps with discipline to have more adults in the classroom.

#123324 - 02/05/05 01:45 AM Re: Just venting about ADD
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
dmcdd
Last night I watched an excellent documetary on two families with children that had ADDHD - the 'H' is extra tou your sons diagnosis and stands for 'hyperctivity' - so it's a different thing to a great degree.

The one thin that stood out though was the way each child was striving to get free of the complaint, there was a wonderful child there just bursting to get out. Through medication, and mainly through therapeutic adjustments to their's, and their families, lives, huge adjustments were made.

I agree with SAR, the responsibility lies with the school / psychologists ( whoever ? ) to search for, and make those adjustments first. Drugs should be an added benefit ( if required ) not the frst choice.
Dave

#123325 - 02/19/05 01:00 AM Re: Just venting about ADD
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have ADD. They try me with some medication one time, to help me to focus more in school. The medicine, I only take it for less of a week, it make me so sick I was crying to my parents, begging to not have to take it. They did not make me take it no moer. There are other ways to manage to keep focus, and to settle my brain some so I can learn better. I finish school, and it was hard, but I think it is better I finish it without having to be on medicine for it. I hope that your child will not need to be on it to. I know how hard it can be, and it can cause teachers to look at you angry and things, but I feel better that I have mostly learned some things.

Andrei

#123326 - 02/25/05 03:40 PM Re: Just venting about ADD
Marc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Tucson, AZ
I'm probably too late to respond to this but as one who has lived with undiagnosed ADD throughout sooooo very much of my life, I beg you for your son's sake and well-being... do not be so quick to discount ADD or 'some' possible medications.

ADD is very real. It is very debilitating especially when 40 years of your life have passed you by when you know inside you could be a genious if only for a few brief moments you could learn to slow down the trillions of thoughts in your head.

Instead, you grow up being thought stupid, lazy, inattentive(duh), undisciplined, careless. There is a new drug out on the market that isn't like the Adderall, and Ritalin of which you may have heard stories about. It doesn't have that speedy effect. It is called Strattera. After forty years of getting no where in life (With varying levels of income) because I couldn't think slowly enough to comprehend things, having let go of so many hopes and dreams... I now finally see it is possible to slow things down. I experience what you see in the timeframe that you see it. Please, get a second opinion. Be sure you are choosing things for your child for the right reason at least. No one was ever there to advocate for me.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.