Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
4 registered (watzupwitu, traveler, Greg56, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443291 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#123216 - 12/20/06 12:40 PM About Islam!
Thomson Offline

I know what you think of muslims! Thanks to the media revolution. Muslims are being portrayed as terrorist barbarians living in caves somewhere out there.

I thought it would be good to try to break the stereotypes and portray the real image of Islam. Islam is an arabic word, and its meaning is "peace" (shocked! aren't you?). We believe in One God, Lord of all worlds and all the prophets and messengers sent by God. We believe in the last book sent by God to Prophet Muhammad, i.e. Koran.

If you have further queries regarding Islam, you are most welcome \:\) .

#123217 - 12/20/06 02:40 PM Re: About Islam!
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: on the coast
Hi Thomson,

I do not think those negative thoughts about Muslims. Not everyone feels that way. Thanks for the reminder.

Dale

#123218 - 12/20/06 03:17 PM Re: About Islam!
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomson:
I know what you think of muslims! Thanks to the media revolution. Muslims are being portrayed as terrorist barbarians living in caves somewhere out there.
Actually, I live in Canada so I think of them as taxi drivers and the guys who make my biriyani. ;\)

j/k...glad you wrote this. I hope it leads to a good discussion.

- Mel Brooks

#123219 - 12/20/06 03:32 PM Re: About Islam!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I never would treat a Muslim any different than before, they are all Gods children.
Ancient countries are being raped in the name of ("deomocracy") whatever that word means

My definition of that word is 'enslaven',

ste

#123220 - 12/21/06 01:21 AM Re: About Islam!
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

i think we only know what we been taught ,by media and other sources ,what strikes me as strange is ,if an american fears or has a predudice against the muslim people its like oh your such a bad person ,you dont want to understand ,your heathens .and please im just a dumb kid so i donthave problems with anybody believing what they want ,but is it just that the media is lying to us here or do all the muslims not hate americans just because we are americans? are we given a chance ,and i dont mean our govt. i mean the american people,you know the people on the street ,why is killing an innocent american seen as a sure ticket to heaven? life expectency for an american in any arab country is what maybe 30 minutes? you can call our govt the great satan but what about the people? i have not heard of one case of someone in the u s being killed just cause they are muslim , did this post start out assuming that the people here would have a problem with the muslim religon? maybe the same media is fooling you too dude?!

#123221 - 12/21/06 01:33 AM Re: About Islam!
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

I do not belive most of what I should maybe. I have no issue with Muslims, or Christians, or Buddhists, or of anyone else who consider themself of some religion. I am sorry to disappoint you.

Vitaliy

#123222 - 12/21/06 05:07 AM Re: About Islam!
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Adam, I think all Thomson is doing is asking to start a discussion on Islam because he is Muslim and he wants to talk about his faith. I think it's shameful that muslims are forced to apologise or explain themselves every time they want to talk about Islam with non-believers.

I think Thomson has shown a lot of courage in trying to open a dialogue about his faith and we owe him respect for that.

Islam is currently struggling with some major issues, and one of them is the treatment of rape victims, especially women, under SharīĎah (Islamic Law) in countries like Pakistan. This is a pretty major issue with implications for male survivors in Muslim countries; since under SharīĎah, victims of rape or homosexuality are considered to be as guilty of the crime as their rapists. As you can imagine, this probably creates a lot of issues for muslim survivors.

Thomson, I would be very interested in hearing your insights or comments on your experiences as a muslim survivor, if you are willing to talk about them.

- Mel Brooks

#123223 - 12/21/06 12:49 PM Re: About Islam!
Thomson Offline

Thanks a lot everybody for your comments!

Nobbynobs, darn i love biryani \:\) isn't it great?

Adam, my friend, despite some differences in our viewpoint, i love you; because we are vowen in the bond of humanity first and then as surviovors. What you stated is the same kind of stereotyping i wanted to absolve. Muslims donot hate Americans, because there are a lot of muslims that are Americans. We don't hate anyone for the fact that they were born to some parents practicing religion XYZ. We hate murderes, we hate abusers, and that is what we all do as free humans. Before 9/11, we were suffering from the viciousness of al-qaeda, taliban and sadam for decades. Yes, they were killing innocent muslims in thousands in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Saddam was responsible for murder of 2 million muslims. I feel strongly for whatever happened on 9/11, as i could connect to those who were oppressed.

Nobbynobs, thanks for your comments. You brought Shariah into the discussion, so it would be appropriate to expound on it further. Shariah is the Islamic law, but it doesn't put rapists and rape victims under the same category. Rapists are punished but the rape victims are not. In Pakistan, due to faulty implementation/understanding of Islamic Laws, victims were also punished. So it is not the shortcomming of Sharia, but faulty implementation of Sharia by a dictator (General Zia, who BTW created taliban with US support).

Once again, thanks for your support.

#123224 - 12/21/06 12:53 PM Re: About Islam!
Thomson Offline

Sorry Nobbynobs, i almost forgot the part about muslim-survivor. I am planning to share my story with you some time in near funture. I would try not to delay it further. \:\)

#123225 - 12/21/06 02:45 PM Re: About Islam!
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: on the coast
Thomson,

Thanks you for your insight. I do not believe that any group of people should all be judged by the acts of some people in that group. I believe that each individual should be judged on who he or she is. I as an American, for instance would not want others in the world to assume that I agree and support everything my government does. I look forward to hearing more of what you have to say and getting to know you better.

Dale

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.