Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
2 registered (lapchinj, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443359 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#123205 - 01/20/05 09:08 PM Scot's Pick O' The Week - Jan. 20
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Time once again for.......

SCOT'S PICK O' THE WEEK!

.....Because life is normal. Be weird!

Desmond O'Malley's Irish Pub & Grill (Resturant - Natick MA)

Ah, the Irish. Not known for their cuisine (but VERY known for their beer, whisky, and fighting! \:D ), but here's a place where U.S. pub-grub meets the greatly appreciated comfort foods of the Emerald Isle.

Desmond O'Malley's, the owner says, was designed and built in Ireland, then disassembled and rebuilt here. I don't know how much of that story is malarky, but what I do know is that it contains the best in Ireland, minus the fags at the table (CIGARETTES! Take your MINDS out of the gutter! :p ). This is the sister-pub of the wonderful Kinshale's in Boston, and it lives up to the reputation.

From the moment you walk in, you're surrounded with the simple, hardwood-and-panelling goodness of Dublin itself. There's either good canned or excellent live Celtic music playing, and there's enough conversation to make it homey, but not too much so's you can't hear your mates.

Here, they sell true taps of Guinness and they know how to make a head. The Irish food is very good, from the great Ballymore Irish stew (with lamb) to the esquisite Shepherd's Pie (beef in this one), to the phenominal banger's 'n mash (my personal favorite - made with colcannon!).

Great atmosphere, good food, Celtic music and Guinness. What more could you ask for?

If you aren't in the Natick, MA, area, please try to find and support your local Irish pubs. They're out there, and they probably are as good as this one (the ones in the States, I mean).

'Till next week, indulge in some bangers (maybe a pudding instead!).

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#123206 - 01/27/05 11:22 PM Re: Scot's Pick O' The Week - Jan. 20
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Scot
I've just wandered into this bar looking for something else, and it reminded of Irish bars I've know, loved and been thrown out of.

My father in law was Irish, from County Kerry, and he was the stereoptypical Irish navvy, he would also a master at malapropism - the unintentional use of a wrong word that sounded similar, and this got worse in proportion to the amount of Guinness drunk. But he was a wonderful man, and if the truth's known probably the greatest influence on me of any person in my life. We fought at times, but never fell out, we also sat and cried together at times. A true friend.

We went back to Kerry for his 70th birthday, and rounded up a few of his childhood friends, he'd left Ireland at 15yo. We drank ourselves stupid in the best hotel in town, along with the landlord and half the town who'd heard there was a party going on. From nowhere a band appeared, and dancing began, a cake appeared, and on it went until we could drink and dance no more - and the sun was coming up.

The Irish drink and use their bars and pubs for socializing, not for drinking to oblivion.
It's a wonderful place and culture, and if you have Irish roots be proud of them.

Dave

#123207 - 01/28/05 04:31 AM Re: Scot's Pick O' The Week - Jan. 20
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Hey!

I have Irish roots, and I'm well known for my cuisine AND my fighting! :p

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.