Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (44), Dupe1978 (36), James_Is_Talking (36), K-man (58), LordShiningStarr (36), ricky (51), Shawn Hope (29), teresa (42), Warner82 (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (Obi, Greg56, Tiger1982, 2 invisible), 17 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63998 Topics
446700 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#123085 - 12/12/06 02:42 AM Feeling Sad
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
I know in the grand scheme of things, losing a pet isn't way up there, but I also know that you all know how sad it is when a beloved pet is ill.

My cat Midway is 15; I found him when he was just 6 or 7 weeks old down at our beach house. His mother was feral, and she had a bad eye infection that she transferred to all of her kittens. Since they were living at the beach, Midway's eyes were practically glued shut from the infection and the build up of sand. For two weeks straight, I held warm compresses to his eyes and put medicine in them until little by little, they healed. Now all of you who have cats can only imagine what a nightmare this was, especially because he was wild. My arms and hands were scratched to pieces. But, by the time his eyes opened, he and I were bonded forever. I had another cat at the time, Zachery, who I lost 5 years ago; he was 17. At first, Zach wasn't too pleased with Midway, but they soon became fast friends.

Midway has a kidney tumor, hyper-thyroid and his liver is going bad. He's lost better that 6 pounds off his originally 14 pound body in the last month. In an effort to keep him comfortable, he's been on medication to try and bring the thyroid and the liver under control but it's not working. Now it seems that he's stopped eating completely.

My younger cat, Oreo isn't eating well either. I think she knows something is up with her big brother.

I love Midway and I've taken care of him his whole life, I'll take care of him in his death too but it makes me very sad. I know I'll have to put him to sleep in the next few days, maybe a week.

I'm just having a sad night 'cause Middy can't even jump up on the couch anymore, so I lift him. This is the first time that's happened. He's hiding under my bed now.

Sorry, I'm just sad.

Trish

#123086 - 12/12/06 07:06 AM Re: Feeling Sad
Brian Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Upstate NY
(((Trish)))

I understand.

I had to put my cat (Mona) to sleep 8 months ago. I cried like a baby for several days. It still makes me sad to think of her but she had a wonderful 17 years.

I would take my dog (Gizmo) for a walk around the block every night; Mona would follow right behind us (to the amazment of all the neighbors). I would be sitting on the couch watching TV and motion with my hand for her to come to me and she would jump into my lap (my dog won't do that unless I have a handful of treats for her). During the early days of my recovery, Mona would sit on my lap to lick my tears away. My wife and I just got a new cat a few months ago, but she will never take the place of Mona.

I'll be praying for you and Midway. God bless you both.

Brian

#123087 - 12/12/06 09:27 AM Re: Feeling Sad
endlessjourney Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
I know its hard to go through that with a pet. People understate this, but, pets are a part of the family. I know how hard that is. Stay strong!

Much love,
Jason

Truth is the very reason we strive to live. It surrounds and resides within us. Accepting the truths we already know and seeking out those we do not is a direct path to inner balance and joy. For life is not a means to an end, but a journey. Life comes and goes but the truth will always live on.

#123088 - 12/12/06 03:54 PM Re: Feeling Sad
froggy12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Marlboro, MA 01752
I had a cat who was left to his own devices so to speak. I saw him in the compost heap looking for goodies so I would put stuff out for him. He eventually realized he had a good thing going, so moved in. When I came home from work at night, he would trot across the yard purring, I'd pick up him up and he put his paws around my neck still purring. When he died from kitty HIV (after 10 years) I was depressed for months. He is under one of the pink peony bushes - he would hide under it in hot weather - cool. He had a variety of names: Charlotte, then he grew larger and became Chuck...little shit...kitty etc. An endearing critter & loved.

froggy12

#123089 - 12/12/06 04:27 PM Re: Feeling Sad
sis Offline

Loc: Arizona
Trish
i am sorry you are having a hard time. light and luv, sis

#123091 - 12/13/06 04:38 AM Re: Feeling Sad
Brokenhearted Offline

Loc: TX
Trish, it is terrible to see an animal decline like that. I had a Golden Retriever who got liver disease, I've lost 3 dogs to old age (2 put to sleep, one died in her doghouse-oh, man, that was HARD). Then recently our little bunny was killed and it was sad b/c even though we didn't have him but about a yr, he was our little 3 yr old's first pet, and very tame (had been in a petting zoo), had little short ears, was a dwarf bunny, would fall asleep on you, extremely gentle....so I feel for you. ALso when pets grow old and die we realize how much time is passing and we remember other things that the pets were around for that make us sad...like when one dog died when I was growing up, my dad was sad b/c that dog was around through my and my brothers' childhood years, and so with its death seemed to die other things to my dad's mind, and he was depressed a while from it, I remember him crying after he bagged her up out of the doghouse and said, "All that goodness can't just end, can it, it can't just disappear?"

I'm sorry, I'm probably making it worse - I'm making myself sad by my own post now. Give it all the love you can so it will not have any doubt you loved it very much. <3 And be glad that you can feel and are alive - I hate feeling the emotions I do lately but at least I know I'm a feeling, caring person and I thank the Lord I'm not numb like my poor husband.

It were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
Luke 17:2

#123092 - 12/15/06 03:22 PM Re: Feeling Sad
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Thank you to all who responded. If Middy had been dealing with only one major health issue, I might have been able to fight it, but it was 3.

I took my sweet boy to the vet last night and ended his mysery. Despite the meds, he had lost another pound in less than 10 days. He was very fragile and weak, but he still cuddled with me and knew, I believe, that he was loved and that I was taking care of him as I always did. We gave each other 15 good years and now he is at peace.

Thank you again for your understanding.

Trish

#123093 - 12/15/06 03:28 PM Re: Feeling Sad
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Oh Trish, I know all about that heartache, it's very VERY hard isn't it? But guess what? Do you REGRET having Midway come into your life? I know you don't !!

Cats are very cool. They should live just as long as us.

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Trish, get some tissues handy before you watch this ok?

These wonderful people helped me when my Rottweiler Thor was dying of cancer.

#123094 - 12/15/06 03:30 PM Re: Feeling Sad
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Geez I just watched it AGAIN. Now I'm getting misty. But they are happy tears. \:\)

#123095 - 12/15/06 03:50 PM Re: Feeling Sad
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Hauser,

I think I'll watch tonight when I'm home; it doesn't take much to make me start crying. No, I don't regret one minute. I've had many, many animals in my life and every one of them has brought me joy. Some I lost too soon because of accident or illness and others lived a good, long life. Either way, it was my life made better for having them in it.

Trish

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.