Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64189 Topics
447924 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#122821 - 12/31/04 07:23 AM The best holiday season ever
Aden Offline

After reading what so many of you feel about the holidays, Id like to briefly describe my favorite holiday season. It was in 1984, twenty years ago, and I remember the experience clear and fondly.

I have hated the holidays since I was a kid. The emotional, financial, and time consuming demands always lead to depression, frustration and resentment. But not in 1984. That year I loaded up my backpack, stuck my thumb into the wind, and headed west. I had previously established a camp site in the desert mountains of southern California. It was three miles from the nearest dirt road. No one ever wandered that far back into the hills, except for me.

It would be impossible for me to describe the rugged beauty of that place. It was awesome, quiet and lonely. I arrived the day before Thanksgiving, and did not leave the wilderness until after the passing of the New Year. For six weeks I nourished myself with nothing more than a gallon of water and a teaspoon of salt every day.

I had visions! Mostly of biscuits&gravy. You cannot imagine the peace and tranquility of that holiday season. It was deeply healing. Recollections of that time still comfort me.

So, the best holiday season I ever had was the one that I skipped entirely. No pressure, no family squabbles, no crowded shopping malls. Just an ongoing meditation without interruption. To sleep and wake and walk the rocky hills then sleep again. Forty days of prayer and fasting in the wilderness. Hata and raja yoga. Zen archery. Unrestrained songs with meaningless words. Vistas from mountain tops and glittering revelations as hawks eclipsed the sun. A dance in the heart of creation.

Most of that dont mean diddly now. But come this time of year it is good sometimes to escape into the memories...

Aden

#122822 - 12/31/04 06:49 PM Re: The best holiday season ever
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Aden,

I have incredible memories of the birthday I skipped entirely. I borrowed a bicycle and rode around, getting lost, until it was getting dark and my legs were wobbly.

It was an overcast day, threatening to rain, there weren't too many people out. The only time I spoke to anyone was when I went into a restaurant to get more water.

I love watching the top of a hill come into view bit by bit as you work to get up. And I love the sound of spinning bicycle tires when you go down the other side. I didn't know the roads, I just flew down the hills daring myself not to brake. It was terrifying and fun.

Thanks, Aden, for giving me a chance to think about that today.

#122823 - 12/31/04 06:59 PM Re: The best holiday season ever
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Aden, somtimes the simplest things in life bring us the most pleasure.

There is immense beauty in the World, it largely goes unnoticed. I would love to be able to go to these beautiful places. Then again, we are never too far away.

I live near the coast with vast beaches of sand dunes, massive pine forests, and loads of countryside. I remember how comforting it was to have this beauty as a kid, but I still have it.

SAR, the little girl riding and skipping, yes, these are the things we all forget, the noise, the smell, the seeing of the World through a childs eyes are largely forgotten in an adult World.

Thanks so much for sharing it,

Have a lovely 2005;)

ste

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.