Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63226 Topics
442131 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#122794 - 11/28/06 06:01 PM Advocacy issues and priorities
Zipser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Connecticut
Hello everyone,

One of the sub-committees for member services at Male Survivor has to do with advocacy issues. For the organization to be effective in its work I'd like to ask for your input to first identify what's important to you in this area.

Some issues could be removing statutes of limitations for civil and/or criminal cases relating to CSA, identification of service providers, etc.

Here's your chance to start the conversation. Hope you'll take part!

Best regards,

Paul

#122795 - 11/30/06 09:28 AM Re: Advocacy issues and priorities
Junyah Offline

Loc: Mississauga, Ont
For myself as a survivor from Canada, some of the issues that need a few good advocates...
One of my abusers was a doctor and as such I have been granted a coulselling fund, not much by any means, there are so many rules to access those funds it is ridiculous, they cannot pay travel, or any other associated costs of therapy, due to current legislation, so more advocacy in that area would be very helpful, petitioning the government on behalf of survivors, also petitioning the governing bodies of the med establishment to increase the funding for victims of abuse by doctors and medical professionlas. Also issues of fair and proper compensation for victims of these crimes, sentencing issues for sure are nwhere near what most of society feels is a proper sentence, yet these judges keep slapping these sicko's on their collective wrists, sending the message that it's ok to abuse children, and other vulnerables in society. Definately advocacy to try and stop before it happens by having more youth programs, greater public awareness of issues facing potential victims etc..Advocating for vistims rights, including us in the whole process, victimc helping victims makes sense as well, I know for myself, if a therapist or social worker can identify with what I have been thru by sharing their own experiences, the results can be monumental. Dont know if any of this makes sense, but there it is..lol..
I have a question, how would somebody that is interested in doing some type of advocacy work?
Peace
Junyah

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.