Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
3 registered (don64, tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64192 Topics
447956 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#122735 - 12/22/04 07:05 PM Worst movie Hall O' Fame
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Recently, someone asked me, since I was such a movie buff, what the WORST movie I've ever seen was. This is almost as hard as figuring out what my FAVORITE movie was. I mean, what is the criteria? Something painful to watch? A truly craptastic film experience? Or a so-bad-it's-too-damn-funny cinematic crapstopiece (yeah, I like the word "crap!" :rolleyes: )? I'm of the opinion that there is something redemming in all examples of cinema, but truthfully, there are atrocious films out there.

So, I guess what I want from people are their opinions on what the worst movie of all time is, so they can be added to the Unofficial Worst Movie Hall O' Shame.

My humble suggestions -

"Street Fighter." Most movies (I exempt the first "Mortal Kombat") based on video games have "flush twice" written all over them. This one is truly no exception. An embarassment on every level. So much so that all involved NEVER SPEAK of their roles in this film depth-charge. The true tragedy is that this was the last film appearence of the truly talented Raul Julia as the scene-chewing-and-vomiting villain M. Bison.

"Battlefield Earth" - A tip: Never use a film ONLY TO PUSH THE ECCENTRIC RELIGION OF EVERYONE INVOLVED! This should've been titled "Battlefield Scientology," as it was based on a (actually very good) novel written by the founder, starred a major proponent of the cult, and was directed by a follower. John Travolta deserved better, but since he was the producer, no excuse for him. He chewed the scenery as Terl, yet another villain so hammy he should've had a handlebar mustache to twirl 'round his finger as he cackled evilly. Terl didn't. He should've, considering he was one hairy b*****d!

"Vibes" - Don't worry if you haven't heard of this one, as it lasted approximately 1 second in the theaters back in the late '80s. A horrifying mishmash of psychic phenomena and "Romancing the Stone," only worse written. More's the pity considering the acting talent involved, namely Peter Falk and Jeff Goldblum. Future moviemakers should take note: bad writing and bad directing CANNOT BE SALVAGED by good actors if all they're given are lousy dialogue. And Cyndi Lauper is a fine singer, but she is NOT an actor!

I'll add more later. Please feel free to add your own.

Peace and love,

Scot \:D

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#122736 - 12/22/04 08:13 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Pirannah 2 : The Spawning!

Flying carnivorous fish! How can you beat that?

DUCK!

#122737 - 12/22/04 10:50 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
i love movies and fast cars, so when I saw "The Fast and The Furious" advertised I just had to see it.

That was CRAP!

Truly awful on ALL counts, not even the chase sequences could redeem it.

I watched "Bullit" with Steve McQueen again the other night, now that's a PROPER car chase.

Dave \:D

#122738 - 12/22/04 11:37 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
It has got to be the carry on movies. Yucck....

ste

#122739 - 12/24/04 07:22 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

A few more....

"Plan 9 From Outer Space" - Most critics rate this as the worst movie ever made. I for one agree with 'em! Too easy to pick on, from the bad-even-by-'50s-standards schlock sci-fi plot, to the fact that its featured star, Bela Legosi, had died BEFORE filming started, so the director, Ed Wood (the worst movie DIRECTOR of all time), used 15 minutes of Legosi movie footage and had his villain played the rest of the time by some doctor who resembled him - FROM THE BACK OF HIS HEAD! Oh, yes, let's NOT forget the again abysmal-even-by-'50s-standards special effects (frisbees for flying saucers - thrown from off-screen!) - and the bad actors (Tor Johnson - professional wrestler/child frightener, Vampira - the first Elvira, but not as talented, and The Amazing Christof - bad psychic-to-the-stars whose only appearence is to remind the audience that the movie is, oooooohhhh, creepy, primarily by his looks!)

"Monsturd" - Okay, since I never heard of this one until a visit to Blockbuster, I knew it was direct-to-video, and thus horrible. But the title intrigued me. The movie itself lived up to it. A monster that comes from the sewer comprised of, yep, crap, terrorizing innocent civilians. Thank GOD for direct-to-video! I'd never know without it how many REALLY awful movies get the green light!

ANYTHING RECENTLY STARRING JEAN-CLAUDE VAN DAMME! - I liked him way back in the '80s, when he was being set up as the thinking man's action star. Thanks, however, to bad decisions regarding movie projects (he screwed up and starred in too many big-screen sewer-bombs), he's the poster boy for direct-to-video. Avoid at all costs any movie you see at the video store with his name on it that you don't remember (and a few that you do!).

ANYTHING RECENTLY STARRING SYLVESTER STALLONE - See above, except replace '80s with '70s.

ANYTHING RECENTLY STARRING STEVEN SEGAL - See above, except replace "thinking man's action star" with "living robot." Jeez, the late Charles Bronson had more acting range than Segal does! And I include now, with him being dead!

Please add more. I could use the laughs! \:D

Peace and love,

Scot

#122740 - 12/24/04 08:56 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
yesac76 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Idaho
Worst movie ever: SHOWGIRLS. Bad acting, crappy>

#122741 - 12/25/04 08:30 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Probably the worst movie I ever saw was Home Alone, I know it was a big hit. Don't ask me how.

It was on a day much like today. Somewhat sunny, about 10*F and I was out changing an engine in my 4x4. My fingers were numb and covered in grease and the knuckles were cut up and bloody. Going in to watch that movie and warm up was a welcome call. Not too far into the movie I was begging to go out in the cold and bang my knuckles some more - that was far more enjoyable than being tortured by that movie.

#122742 - 12/27/04 06:45 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

"Muriel, Or The Time of the Return" - Okay, anyone remember the "experimental" films of the late '60s-early '70s? Usually, the word "experimental" could be replaced by "bad." This one topped-em-all. The opening scene was a madly-edited montage, the "soundtrack" was horrible atonal music that sounds like an orchestra being tuned up, and the story was a confused mess of some vaguely disatisfied woman, her equally mopey lover (who kept talking about fighting in Algiers) and her dips**t son who really had no purpose but wandering into a scene, drinking tea, and leaving. I enjoy foreign films, but this exemplifies how bad French cinema can be.

"The Avengers" - Hollywood should just plain stop messing with my childhood memories. I enjoyed the TV series this was based on, and they succeeded in crapping on it. Made worse by featuring good actors behaving badly (Ralph Finnes, Uma Thurman, and Sean Connery).

"Captain America" - "When Captain America throws his might shield..." Hopefully he will decapitate me with it before I see this monstrosity again. Back when a Marvel license couldn't GET a decent movie made, this was the worst of the lot. And it's painfully funny to see the Captain's costume, complete with rubber ears! You guessed it, they couldn't figure out a way to leave his real ears outside the mask, so they glued on rubber ones.

Peace and love,

Scot

#122743 - 12/27/04 10:23 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
yesac76 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Another truly horrid movie. Pink Floyd's The Wall. I have attempted to watch it a few times. It MAKES NO SENSE. I have been told to understand it, I would need to be on acid. Not an acceptable reason to do drugs!

#122744 - 12/28/04 01:41 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
dwf Offline
Moderator/BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
I tend to use a sliding scale for my critiques of movies.

Meaning that if somebody spends millions upon millions to make a movie and then promotes the crap out of it, it had better be damned good!

Otherwise, it is a monumental flop and has taken up way too much time, attention and energy in proportion to it's contribution to the world.

I think the last Star Wars, Attack of the Klowns, or Clownes, or whatever, definitely fits in this category. Bad, bad acting. No idea what the story was. Wooden movement and glacial plot flow.

On the other hand, a little movie of no consequence that manages to strike my funny bone or touch my heart without overbearing affect scores very big in my book. Harold and Maude was one of those movies for me.

I persoanlly feel that they should pay ME to see their movies and not vice versa....but alas they do not agree.

Thanks,

-Tony Joe White

#122745 - 12/28/04 10:40 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
OK talk about a movie I didnt get "Clock Work Orange" I hear it's like "The Wall" you need to be in altered state of mind to "get". So guess I'll just keep not getting it.

#122746 - 12/31/04 04:13 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
yesac76 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Lost In Translation. This movie was NOT funny, NOT enterataining. IT SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same goes for RUSHMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#122747 - 01/03/05 05:42 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Still more....

The Crying Game - This was the "must see" movie of its year, complete with the "shocking" plot twist (which WAS truly shocking! Jaye Davidson makes a pretty woman. So does John Lone in "M. Butterfly," but I digress.). The "shocking" plot twist doesn't make up for the fact that this movie was utter dooooooooooooggggggggggs**t! Plodding and boring, which is a pity as it had so many good actors in it.

The English Patient - Same comments above apply here, without the "shocking" plot twist. Just boring. How most people got sucked into the hype is truly beyond me.

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover - I REALLY wanted to like it, as it was a challenging film for the establishment, but it was tastesless and bad, made worse for the truly disgusting ending.

Very Bad Things - Another good cast wasted on a very unpleasant movie. Wanted to show the horrible things that can happen from one senseless accident and the attempt to cover it up rather than face its consequence. Also was trying to be a funny black comedy. It failed because there were NO characters you could sympathize with. They were ALL jerks!

Robot Jox - Bad scifi. Bad special effects. Plain BAD!

Three Days in the Valley - a "Pulp Fiction" clone. Not a shred of originality in it.

Keep on adding your turkeys! We may also have to start adding bad actors as well!

Peace and love,

Scot

#122748 - 01/03/05 05:54 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
Aden Offline

Are we allowed to disagree? I loved "A Clockwork Orange"...Lovely, lovely!

#122749 - 01/03/05 05:59 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
I liked Lost In Translation. It was weird but it was supposed to be, it was supposed to make you feel how uncomfortable it is to have that fish out of water feeling.

#122750 - 01/03/05 06:06 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Of COURSE you're allowed to disagree! Everything is relative and each person's taste is different. I just don't think, for the record, that you're going to change anyone else's mind on what they consider to be utter tat and a complete waste of time (or, as I'm wont to say after a bad movie experience, there's two hours of my life I won't ever get back! \:D ).

Also for the record, I loved "Lost in Translation" and found the juxtoposition of brutal images with the great movie musical number "Singin' in the Rain" in "A Clockwork Orange" to be brilliant. Besides, Malcolm McDowell RULES! Yes, he does!

Peace and love,

Scot

#122751 - 01/05/05 08:54 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
gs Offline

Loc: christchurch
I can't beleive nobody has mentioned the B grade Australian film "Bad boy Bubby". This is truly the sickest and most perverted thing I have ever seen.At a guess I would say the content would highly offend or sicken most people on this site.

Most over the top crap movie would have to be "Torque".The people that made this must have been on acid if they think the special effects were even remotly believable.
Too fast to furious would have to be a very close second to Torque.

#122752 - 01/05/05 11:11 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
yesac76 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Pretty much any movie where the cars are "stars" ie, The Fast and The Furious, Too Fast Too Furious, and that sort of film.

The most overhyped movie in recent memory, TITANIC. I was happy when Jack sunk into the sea, he just should have grabbed a handful of Rose's hair and took her sorry butt with him. The movie was about 1 1/2 hours too long. A real snoozer!

Casey

#122753 - 01/05/05 11:22 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
James_dup1 Offline

Quote:
Are we allowed to disagree? I loved "A Clockwork Orange"...Lovely, lovely!
Aden,
By all means. This is what makes us human. I watched it because SO many different people told me how good it was. I just didnt get it. LOL

OK one was really disapointed in...."The Hulk" :rolleyes:

James

#122754 - 01/06/05 12:08 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
James, A clockwork orange was an excellent stanley kubrick movie, it might be dated, but when you think about it, it was made in the 70's, and meant to predict the future.

It gave a somewhat true picture of the future, a future of drugs, violence, and greed, fast cars, violence agaist the innocent tramp, etc., and vandalism, society basically gone wild, with even a rape scene to add to the gore.

Notice, just how dysfunctional his family are, and how they never knew what went on. How true of today.

So, in the 70's it really is a revelation of what we are today. Did this man have vision? I like to think so.

ste

#122755 - 01/06/05 12:18 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
James_dup1 Offline

Guess it just went over my head. Although I did like the milk bar. LOL

#122756 - 01/06/05 03:06 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
Michael Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Claremore, Oklahoma
I absolutely loved "A Clockwork Orange". The soundtrack was phenomenal for its day. The Moog synthesizer doing Beethoven was fabulous. Ever since the first "techno" album - "Switched-on Bach", I haved loved the pure tones generated by electronic music.

Not only was it a statment of possible future society, it was also a statement about forced rehabilitation. The main characters total reversal of personality and then the return in a rewind fashion of the prior characters and scenes was thought provoking to say the least!

The worst movies always seem to be the ones the "Movie Critics" love. They ones they pan, I seem to like.

#122757 - 01/06/05 03:59 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
brokentoys Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: So. California
Actually I not only got "A Clockwork Orange", but enjoyed it and was straight. Go figure. The worst snoozer of all times in my opinion was a Stanley Kubrick film called "Eyes Wide Open". We actually went to the drive in to see this and everyone in the car fell asleep!
Broken

Arnold Bennet

#122758 - 01/06/05 04:23 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
How about. . . Smokey and the Bandit?

Quote:
Sheriff Brandford: The fact that you are a sheriff is not germane to the situation.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice: The god damn Germans got nothin' to do with it!

#122759 - 01/06/05 04:23 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
Aden Offline

“From Dusk till Dawn” by Quinton Tarantino with George Cloony and Harvey Keitel. The first 45 minutes are a mildly interesting crime drama with hostages and normal plot. But then it turns into a gyrating, naked, vampire blood feast of extreme and uninterrupted violent gore. I had to stop watching. I felt duped by the devil.

#122760 - 01/06/05 08:38 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Quote:
Originally posted by Roland:
I liked Lost In Translation. It was weird but it was supposed to be, it was supposed to make you feel how uncomfortable it is to have that fish out of water feeling.
I have had that 'fish out of water' feeling far too much, and have been literally 'Lost in translation'. But I still didn't get the movie (although as Andrei pointed out to me while we were watching it, Scarlett Johansen has a nice ass!)

--Very Bad Things - Another good cast wasted on a very unpleasant movie. Wanted to show the horrible things that can happen from one senseless accident and the attempt to cover it up rather than face its consequence. Also was trying to be a funny black comedy. It failed because there were NO characters you could sympathize with. They were ALL jerks!--

Actually, I got some chuckles out of this one. It was very over-the-top (similar to 'Death to Smoochy', another freakish load of crap movie), and yes they were all jerks, even the supposed 'conscience' guys. Was just another movie to make me dislike Cameron Diaz.

If you are accepting foreign films, there was a low-budget movie made in Russia some years ago called 'Parawda' ('Animal'). Supposed to be a sci-fi thriller kind of movie. Was more like a substandard 'B' movie (or, 'Z' movie) from the U.S. in the fifties. Just terrible, all through, but was a cult thing for some people, who would go and see it over and over and become fanatic about it (like your 'Rocky Horror' movie, another one I think that belongs here).

leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#122761 - 01/06/05 09:13 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
James_dup1 Offline

Quote:
Scarlett Johansen has a nice ass!)
Agree \:D

#122762 - 01/08/05 03:47 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
parttimecop Offline

I read the book for Robot Jox, actually not bad. Movie was as you mention a turd pile.

There was one I think made by the same people or at least had similar special effects, well I do not recall the name, but it was on one saturday afternoon. It reminded me of when we were kids playing and would just make up a story to fit what we were playing with. And how the stoy would just kind of grow and grow. Without much realism in plotting.

I think I would hold Hollywood movies to a different standard than say Plan nine from outer space. And some movies are made just to be bad movies. Look at napoleon dynamite, bad bad movie, but still somehow worth watching.

#122763 - 01/13/05 06:14 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
ecb Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm pretty picky about movies in the first place, and steadfastly refuse to see a lot of them based on how crappy they look on the ads. That said, I have been rooked into seeing (or foolishly chosen to see) some truely crappy, crappy movies.

Off the top of my head, some have been mentioned:

-"Plan 9 From Outer Space" has got to be among the worst. It was an enjoyable watch though because my friends and I just laughed and laughed at it.

-"Battlefield Earth" was far less enjoyable because I couldn't even laugh at it. I got conned into watching this by the same friend that forced me to watch "Plan 9" but I got my revenge when I made him watch:

-"The Bimbo Move Bash" This flick was surely straight to video and was truely painful to watch. It reduced two of my friends (including the above mentioned one) to merely stare at the screen in slack-jawed, white faced horror it was so bad.
It appears to have be a couple of college guys who spliced together several bad '80's B movies in some order that seemed mostly random. Occasionally one of the guys would do a voice over to attempt to make something amusing.

-"Howard the Duck" This movie is what I term "Craptacular." That means it is pure crap, but for some reason I absolutly love it. It's still a bad movie though.

Unfortunately this is all I can think of off the top of my head, but if I come up with a few more I'll surely post 'em.

#122764 - 01/14/05 01:07 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
I have to agree Howard the Duck UGG

#122765 - 01/26/05 08:49 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
blacken Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern Ohio
Vampire Junction. Without a doubt, the worst "vampire" movie I have ever seen & most likely the worst of any movie. Produced by "One Take Studios", I was thinking it was a low budget movie, but not THAT low.
It has NO redeaming qualities.
The vampire theme was secondary to what it actually is,,,, A 'no-budget' basement, lesbian prono flick. And the women are ugly.
The acting:....what acting? I think those poor people actually thought they were doing good.
Special Effects: Made it worse. "Howls" sounded like some guy in the basement that stubbed his toe. Lighting effects......were just terrible.
Music: bad timing, didnt fit the scenes, & of poor quality.
Direction: None.
Plot: I guess the Title was all they thought they needed.
Sex: Weird, Kinky, bizar. Thats being to kind.
Scare factor: -10, I thought at first this might be a spoof. It was so bad it was kind of funny at first. Then, it became sickly stupid.

There you have...

#122766 - 01/27/05 06:17 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
yesac76 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Okay, an overhyped, under done flick.
Eight Mile starring Eminem, aka Marshall Mathers. I expected s great movie. I watched a peice of crap. It's ending gives no sense of conclusion. Worthless movie!

#122767 - 01/27/05 10:21 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

By the way, someone on the FandF board asked if non-survivors could respond to this thread. Coonsider yourself invited.

Peace and love,

Scot \:D

#122768 - 01/30/05 06:00 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
Douglas Offline

My turn.

To readdress some of the previously mentioned, unmentionables:
- "Battlefield Earth": friend and I saw this because we [b]knew[/i] it was going to suck. We were not disappointed.
- "Clockwork Orange": I know everyone thought he was a genius but Kubrik leaves me cold.
- "Lost In Translation": whatever. I'm just glad I didn't care.

New Listings:
- "The Postman": O, my. Saw it on a Christmas night at the 10PM showing because my bro-in-law insisted. O, my. 2 and 1/2 hours later, I'm feeling poleaxed by the sheer awful, awfulness of this pile of steaming badness, and, THANK GOD, the credits are finally rolling!

- "Amistad": I know, you're supposed to like it but by the end I was muttering, "Give me free!"

- "Johnny Mnemonic": Keanu Reeves as a guy who's super power is that he can remember stuff. That's a bit of a stretch for him, I think.

- "Bram Stoker's Dracula": Early 90's version. Keanu Reeves again. Everyone else in the cast tried to make him look good by acting badly. Except for Gary Oldman, who cut him no slack and owned every scene he was in.

- "The Matrix Reloaded": Keanu Reeves. This time making love to a supposedly female double of himself while surviving humanity does a lot of Ecstasy and throws a rave underground. Oh, and some pretentious French fart generates a computer virus that gives spontaneous orgasms to a woman eating pie.

- "The Matrix Revolutions": Keanu Reeves provides incontrovertible proof that the first one being good was a fluke. "Yay! The war is over!"
I say, "Yawn, the series is over."

- "Constantine": I know, it hasn't been released yet. But guess who stars in it. Go on, you'll never guess...

#122769 - 02/01/05 06:38 AM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
Jeff S. Offline

Loc: Northern WIsconsin
How about "Any Which Way But Loose" The orangatan was the best character in it.

Now, my personal WORST movie ever has to be "The Prince of Tides." First, it's horribly done, second, it triggers the crap out of me, and thirdly, anything Barbara Strisand does is over done.

Jeff S.

#122770 - 02/02/05 03:16 PM Re: Worst movie Hall O' Fame
blacken Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern Ohio
Ya, Barbara Strisand's initials are "BS".
That seems to sum her up.
Sorry, I just can't stand her myself & never understood what all the hype was about her.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.