Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
4 registered (Bluedogone, GT13568, Obi, 1 invisible), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12251 Members
73 Forums
63104 Topics
441295 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#122633 - 12/14/04 10:05 PM Holiday Food and Self-Defeating Behaviors
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Man, I just ate a whole bunch of M&Mís, a cookie, chocolate, yogurt covered something or other, other Christmas crap, yesterday it was four inch thick cheesecake browniesÖ and on top of that, the campus Christmas party is this afternoon.

UUUUUNNGGGGHH!!! enough already!

Iím already starting to get the headache from the sugar, and the stupid side of me is trying to make the rational side feel bad for stuff that is too late to change (Iím holding my rational head up high and telling the stupid side to piss off, whatís done is done, and I wonít brood on eating too much junk).

I thought this would be a good time to remind everyone about the vast library of helpful articles on this website. So with all my holiday overeating I thought I would re-read Breaking the Cycle of Self-Defeating Behaviors By Ken Singer, LCSW, you can check it out by clicking the link below.

Breaking The Cycle of Self-Defeating Behaviors

Well I'm off to the party, I'll let you know how I do. ;\)

#122634 - 12/14/04 10:21 PM Re: Holiday Food and Self-Defeating Behaviors
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Hey, thanks for the link I will check it out. It is indeed the time of overindulging.

Chocolate is my craving, there is always a good supply of it around my office, I tell myself NO.

Then it gets to a point when I can't resist, so temptation always wins the day \:\)

Maybe it is the little boy in me who craves the stuff, hey, I can't take candy off a kid.

What would people think??? :rolleyes:

Have a good time, \:D

ste

#122635 - 12/14/04 11:46 PM Re: Holiday Food and Self-Defeating Behaviors
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
wow this is exactly what i needed - i pretty much emptied the fridge today - and spent a bundle as well -

Yow!Thanks Roland -

Mark

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#122636 - 12/15/04 12:04 AM Re: Holiday Food and Self-Defeating Behaviors
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Couldn't you have posted this before I had the heaping plateful at the "Death by Chocolate" buffet. ;\) Uggghhhh, my tummy hurts.

#122637 - 12/15/04 04:54 AM Re: Holiday Food and Self-Defeating Behaviors
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Now, why did you have to go and get all mature and stuff like that just when I was getting ready to take a dive into all of that stuff that beckons to me from across the room, from Sees and Russel Stover and all of those dishes of what everyone puts out on their coffee tables...why didn't you wait until I had my fill...darn you, now I've got to think before I leap into it all.

OK, that was the 9 year old that wouldn't quit until it was taken away from him.

Thank you from the older me, the way older me, who should know better and thanks you for reminding me that I have to show some restraint during this holiday time.

And Ken's article, yes, I will read it again, too.

David

#122638 - 12/15/04 07:50 PM Re: Holiday Food and Self-Defeating Behaviors
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Guys: Starting this week I go on my annual diet. I actually lose about 8 pounds over rhe holiday season. Why do I do this?? Because it is so damned easy putting the weight back on than it is taking it off.

My killers are shortbread cookies. Anything with chocolate in, on or around it. Egg Nog (no booze) turkey stuffing, ice cream, sugar pie, ragot, tortiere and anything else there is anywhere during the holiday season.

IT IS THE ONLY WAY I CAN COPE. TRIED EVERYTHING ELSE.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#122639 - 12/15/04 11:35 PM Re: Holiday Food and Self-Defeating Behaviors
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
It's those damn Canadian Maple Leaf cookies you got to watch out for...

My little girl knows how special they are to me because of the Canada retreat so she likes to put them in the cart when she and Mom do the shopping.

I can resist buying them... but man, once they're in the house it's all over... Eh?

(And I didn't eat a thing at the party- Hazza!)

#122640 - 12/16/04 03:31 PM Re: Holiday Food and Self-Defeating Behaviors
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Curtis when your waistline grows to the size of a christmas yule log I hoope you have fond memories of our time together in Paris. Just joking. Hey they are another of my downfall foods to EH. Now Y'all got to remember to come back up here some day and I can treat you to Prairie Oysters and Braver Tail. :p

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#122641 - 12/17/04 01:24 AM Re: Holiday Food and Self-Defeating Behaviors
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
And it isn't just the food that we turn to either, for some of us it's our old comfortable fantasy world.

I just hate christmas shopping, and I only have to get my wifes presents. But it just does my head in, last year I ended up on bloody prozac!

My wife knows how stressful I find it and tells me not to do it. But I feel that if I don't I've given in - they've won again. And that's simply not an option any more.

So off I go, to the local mall. It's hell on earth, I fucking hate it. And within an hour my head is full of old fantasies of acting out and I head for the car park and I'm gone. I haven't bought a solitary thing.
I go home and go for a walk, and recover.

The next day, I've booked two days off work, I change tactics. I go to a small local town with old traditional shops outside - remember them? And it's a lot better. Then I drive to another small town a few miles away, and the drive relaxes me. Again the town is pleasant and I'm OK.
I even manage to buy presents.

Malls are truly hell on earth, there's something oppressive about them and I never want to see another one.

If comfort eating was my problem, I'd have exploded!

Dave

#122642 - 12/19/04 08:34 AM Re: Holiday Food and Self-Defeating Behaviors
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

I can identify with everything that you've said about the stress of mall shopping.
I settle on the local jewelry shop and try to find one thing that says Ranata to me for her. I have a very limited budget so I have to be creative...it does take some of the stress out of shopping and I'm only dealing with one shop, one sales person and thinking of only Ranata...it has worked for four or five holiday times now.
Good luck and "Happy" holidays, Mikey.

David

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.