Newest Members
Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons, TantraPunk
12250 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Brandon (23), doctorfrau (51), dwigginsr (55), Glen (43), RFB (58)
Who's Online
4 registered (bluesky, don64, 2 invisible), 42 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12250 Members
73 Forums
63101 Topics
441283 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#122625 - 12/23/06 07:27 PM Re: Discussion Board Culture
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
Guys, I'm not naming anyone, because I would have to include my own name on the list.

I think it's really a matter of respect. In real life you wouldn't interrupt someone's conversation in order to talk about a completely different topic. The same respect should apply here. We have a lot of very productive (and provocative) discussions going on, and a thousand different opinions. So people are going to disagree, or get angry, or whatever. But, we are all adults and need to show respect to one-another.

Personally, I have started using the "10 minute rule" with my posts. I write a reply, then go away for 10-15 minutes and do something else, then come back and re-read my reply. If it looks ok, I submit it. More times than not, however, I either edit it, or just delete it altogether.

- Mel Brooks

#122626 - 12/23/06 09:46 PM Re: Discussion Board Culture
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Adam, it is true, we can take blame easily, and, honestly, I have been not far from starting to blame myself for starting this thread... Whatever, I needed to say how it feels sometimes to post here...

selene, it is good that what you need is experience of others. It is cool. I also need it sometimes. Sometimes, however, I become very low (who doesn't?) and I need to hear words of support.

Nobby, I am glad to hear about your own experience of dealing with "hard threads". Sometimes when I see that a survivor says that he feels sick, tired, or that he is tired, my first reaction would be wild. I am not a good supporter when faced with other's emotions. My abusers were hurt and they made me hurt when they explained to me their pain, while raping me.

That means, I take some days to respond to the posts in which people cry for help. I really do, or I can just shout a couple of senseless words in response to the thread. When I think a bit, I can reply more constructively.

But - every one's experience is different.

I see this thread now as an attempt to focus on the problematic issues arising during our every day discussion.

Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#122627 - 12/23/06 09:52 PM Re: Discussion Board Culture
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I know that I am guilty of it, but if you do it, just turn attention back to the original post.
I often wonder just how these boards are so mellow, but hey, dont stop posting if you have to think before you write stuff.

I dont think we put ourselves first, I dont, because I hate myself.
I would rather do someone a favor than let them down.

You also have to think of the different cultures of ppl on the boards, I am English, Alexey is Russian, most of you guys live in the states, but we do have differing cultures in etiquette.

As a rule of thumb, if a topic is getting seriously out of control, refuse to take further part in it, and tell the mods, or state your reasons as to why you think the topic should cease.

I think we need to avoid politics, as we all have differing views on it, but religion should be kept in Spirituality forum where you dont need to go if you have strong views against it.

"Dont walk on the grass",

ste

#122628 - 01/01/07 06:33 AM Re: Discussion Board Culture
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am responding again to this, because tonight I am angry and hurt. I posted something, of something that have caused me flashbacks and very confused and bad feelings. One member here use that post to not address anything I said, but to make political statement of his own. That is just wrong, and rude.

VN

#122629 - 01/01/07 06:51 AM Re: Discussion Board Culture
Nobbynobs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto
I have deleted my comments from the relevant thread.

- Mel Brooks

#122630 - 01/01/07 05:10 PM Re: Discussion Board Culture
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Alexey,

I didn't read all of the replies so that I could stay with your original post. Your thread confirms an original suspicion I gave myself. When wanting to respond to other's posts, sometimes I want to offer a similar experience or feeling so the other person does not feel isolated in the circumstance. In doing so, I may wander, forget that it is someone else's need and topic, and get somewhat self-absorbed.

Your topic has raised my awareness on the subject, and I will try my best to remember that the thread is for the original topic-starter, and not about me. \:\)

A

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#122631 - 01/03/07 10:53 PM Re: Discussion Board Culture
sis Offline

Loc: Arizona
Okay, if i have done this and offended anyone then please forgive me. Happy New year cathy

#122632 - 01/04/07 12:56 PM Re: Discussion Board Culture
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Brothers and sisters, peace to you.

Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.