Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 23 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12487 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447618 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#122587 - 12/14/04 05:51 PM music
MollyHatchetrules Offline

Loc: Hoover, AL USA
I just realized that although I have been here almost a month, all I know about most of the people I've talked to here is about the abuse they went through. So I thought I would post something that's not about abuse. When I'm in a bad mood, I can usually get myself feeling better by putting on some of my favirite music. Although my user-name here implies that Molly Hatchet is my favorite band, they were my favorite, but not anymore. Now it's the Beatles. For a little over a year I have been collecting Beatles records. I have been collecting vintage vinyl since I was in high school, I think I was a sophomore when I started. So I would have been 15 or 16. Now I'm 21. And my collection has grown to over 100 records, including 21 Beatles vinyl albums and 4 45s. I also have 1 tape and 32 albums on CD. I also have the entire Anthology and their new box set on CD, so that makes 39 albums on CD. And as far as vinyl goes, the number is about to go to 24. I'm getting the entire Anthology on vinyl for Christmas. I also have the Anthology on DVD (5 disc set) and 5 other DVDs. And as far at other artists go, for Christmas I found my granddad a 40 year old Hank Williams record, still sealed. I just hope he understands that I can't promise it will work right because of it's age. I don't think it would be a big deal if he opened it since the only Hank Williams records I've seen that seem to be worth anything are the ones that were made before he died. I think the one I have was made before he died, but unfortunately, I don't know if it's an original or not. But it does have an MGM label, so it could be. I also have the first albums that were done by Alabama, America, the Beatles (their first Capitol album), the Eagles, the Georgia Satellites, Paul McCartney and Wings, and the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. I also have both of the country albums that Ray Charles did, the first album Charlie Daniels did that went Platinum, the first live album that George Harrison did, and over 15 Elvis Presley records. The oldest is 44, and none of them skip even once. I also have a near perfect copy of ZZ Tops album "Eliminator". And even though it's not perfect, there is nothing wrong with the vinyl. Anyway, I've said enough for now. But what about everyone else? What do you listen to?

And the world will live as one
-John Lennon

#122588 - 12/14/04 06:23 PM Re: music
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
i take most solace in classical and instrumental music -

i really like piano too -

actually music used to be too triggering for me to be able to focus or overwhelmed by -
and so only later in life did i start to really taste and make a sense of my musical taste -

it still overwhelms me sometimes - so i just 'click' it off!:-)

mgb

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#122589 - 12/14/04 06:25 PM Re: music
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
ps (btw) i also am a huge fan of show tunes - break out in song (and dance) sometimes when they are playing -

:-)

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#122590 - 01/10/05 04:30 PM Re: music
MollyHatchetrules Offline

Loc: Hoover, AL USA
This topic never really got going, but I'll see if I can get it to. What about any music that you got for Christmas? That's about half of what I got. I was given "Ram". That's an early Paul McCartney album, after the Beatles but before Wings. I think I mentioned that I was getting the entire vinyl Beatles Anthology. I got some George Harrison cds. "Cloud 9" and "Live In Japan". I got some more Beatles cds. "Please Please Me" and "Yellow Submarine". I also got a Ringo Starr cd, "Ringo And His New All Star Band". It's the cd of his 2002 tour. I got some dvds. George Harrison "The Dark Horse Years", which is 15 music videos he made between 1976 and 1992. I got Paul McCartney "Back In The U.S." I got the deluxe edition of Elvis Presley's '68 Comeback Special. And right now I'm watching "Fun With The Fab Four". It's a lot of news clips, interviews, and other things, including a Shakesperian comedy sketch with Paul McCartney as Pyramus, and John Lennon as Thisbe. Did anyone else get any good albums for Christmas?

And the world will live as one
-John Lennon

#122591 - 01/10/05 08:04 PM Re: music
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
OK - I'll jump in here as I know a lot of people here still know very little about me...

I've been a fan of country music ever since I can remember (growing up in a small farming community might have influenced that 'slightly')

I really don't have any one favorite musical artist - they are all great in my ears...

I do love to sing to Garth Brooks, George Strait, Randy Travis, Clint Black, Brooks and Dunn, Tim McGraw, and a bunch of others I'm forgetting right now as I have a voice that complements their music styles

OK - maybe I do have a favorite... - but no-one would ever guess it... - It's Billy Gilman... - First time I ever heard him sing I broke out into tears and could not even understand why at the time - then it hit me... - he was 11 at that time and the voice that I heard comming from him was identical to my voice at around that age... - it still brings a tear to my eye when I hear him sing songs like 'Till I can make it on my own', 'There's a Hero', and 'Oklahoma'

No new cd's for christmas here...

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#122592 - 01/11/05 05:07 AM Re: music
Michael Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Claremore, Oklahoma
Well, I like it all. the first album I bought was the 1812 Overture. I started playing guitar at 12 and was in rock bands until 19. At the same time in my late teens I was playing string bass for a Dixieland Band, Electric bass for a small swing era band, guitar in rock bands, and would sit in on an occossional country or gospel session.

I have of 40 gB of music that range from bluegrass to rock to big band to folk, to country to popular to jazz, and lately have really gotten into Russian techno-pop. Did I mention I also like Celtic music?

Last night I went to sleep listening the the Neville Brothers. Tonight it will probably Tennessee Ernie Ford, tomorrow night it might be Ruski Razmer.

I have a LOT of vinyl that I just have to digitize when I can find the time.

I always love songwriters 1st or 2nd albums. There is something about hard times that brings out great creativity in people. Look at Kris Kristofferson, Warren Zevon, Leon Russell, and others. Believe it or not, I actually went and saw Hanson at the Cain's Ballroom a few months ago. I was truly impressed at the talent these brothers have.

Just to date myself, the first concert I went to was to see The Animals and Herman's Hermits. The next one was to see The Dave Clark Five. The best concerts I have been to for quality had to be Grand Funk Railroad in Little Rock in 1970 and Marshall Tucker Band in Fort Smith with just a few hundred people in 1995. Also Kiss was quite entertaining in Pine Bluff in 1978.

#122593 - 01/11/05 05:13 AM Re: music
Michael Offline
MaleSurvivor

VERY IMPORTANT !!!

I forgot to mention that the Wild Hog Boogie in Little Rock in July of 1980 was fantastic with MOLLY HATCHET, Kansas, Atlanta Rythym Section, and The Doobie Brothers. War Memorial Stadium in 114 degree weather and enjoyed all eight or nine hours of fun!!!

#122594 - 01/11/05 05:25 AM Re: music
Michael Offline
MaleSurvivor

BTW TJ jeff,

A couple of months ago my wife and one of my sons were eating lunch and at the table next to us were Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood. I didn't pay much attention (no one around here does) since they both had abviously been working at the farm. As they checked out a man had been sitting outside waiting for them to come out to get autographs. People have leaned that if you do not force yourself into their space or time, and wait for the appropriate moment, then acknowledging their celebrity is OK. They are really nice people and willing to accomodate fans. The funny thing was I didn't realize it was them until they got up to go to the register to pay the bill (it was just a hamburger place afterall, and the had work clothes on). It is really nice to see celebrities live somewhat normal lives, shopping at the farm store, eating at the local restaurants, etc. I guess people here have just gotten use allowing them the same amount of privacy and respect all of us expect.

#122595 - 01/11/05 07:18 AM Re: music
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Well I like anything that has to do with the Muzik Mafia. But Gretchen Wilson is my fav. \:D

One of the things I like about them is the fact they dont care what you look like, what kind of music you play...it's about accepting everyone for who they are and understanding everyone has something to offer the world.

Go check them out http://www.muzikmafia.com

James

#122596 - 01/11/05 04:17 PM Re: music
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Myself and family do not really exchange gifts, it is not a tradition we really have. But because I will be traveling a lot in recent months, I stocked up on a great deal of new music, to include U2, the Gufs, Frank Sinatra, James Taylor, Alexei Murdoch, Jeff Buckley, Don Henley, No Doubt (Gwen Stefani is too hot!), Nina Simone, Ray Charles and Glukoza (Russian pop star, for some reason). Other then the last, all quite satisfactory.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.