Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447593 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#122597 - 01/11/05 04:41 PM Re: music
MollyHatchetrules Offline

Loc: Hoover, AL USA
Michael, I completely agree that an artist or groups first album is usually good. As far as first albums go, I have Alabama, America, the Eagles, the Georgia Satellites, Marshall Tucker, Paul McCartney and Wings, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Charley Pride, and Leon Russell. That's only on the vinyl format. First albums I have on other formats (mostly cd) include Garth Brooks, Brooks and Dunn, Clint Black, George Harrison, Led Zepplin (8-track), Elvis Presley, Shania Twain, and ZZ Top. And I know that "Flirtin' With Disaster" isn't Molly Hatchet's first album, but that's one I've been trying to find for a long time. I've had two vinyl copies already, but neither of them was any good. One was falling apart, and the other was pressed by a bad machine. That means that even though no problem was visible, it even had the glossy look that new records have, it skipped over two dozen times. And the Leon Russel album I have is falling apart, but it's too good to get rid of. Another thing I enjoy is listening to "new" records. I do collect records, but I enjoy them too much to leave them sealed if they are still sealed when I buy them.

And the world will live as one
-John Lennon

#122598 - 01/11/05 11:09 PM Re: music
MollyHatchetrules Offline

Loc: Hoover, AL USA
There is another record I have been wondering about, but I haven't been able to find out much about it. The artist is Jumpin' Gene Simmons. The album is self titled. I'm guessing the date is probably late '50s. The songs on it are "Hannted House", "Rock Around The Clock", "Teenage Love", "The Green Door", "Just A Little Bit", "I'm Comin' Down With Love", "Bony Moronie", Don't Let Me Go", Slippin' And Sliding", "Hotel Happiness", "You Can Have Her", and "No Help Wanted". All I know about the record right now is that the copy I have used to belong to my dad. So if anyone knows anything I would appreciate hearing about it.

And the world will live as one
-John Lennon

#122599 - 01/12/05 12:21 AM Re: music
yesac76 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Idaho
Ah, MUSIC

Music is my life blood. I just got Gretchen Wilson today (hell, yeah!) I am blown away by Big & Rich. I love all types of music. I am a developing Beatle maniac. I LOVE listening to country music coming out of Canada. Some of my favorite artists aren't available here: Lisa Brokop (although she has another US record deal), Chris Cummings, Adam Gregory, Doc Walker, Jimmy Rankin, Dean Tuftin, I could go on and on.

I am saddened by the "modern rock" music scene. Maybe I am just getting old, but alot of the new bands coming down the pike are cut outs of each other.

Well, I guess good music will come around again. LAter!

Casey

#122600 - 01/12/05 04:50 AM Re: music
FLRich Offline
MaleSurvivor

Guys,

Just give me some old Mowtown tunes, some new hip hop, and some Jimmy Buffett and I'm set. The Temptations, Four Tops, Percy Sledge, Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Aretha, and Tina Turner (Leosha, Gwen is hot, but I bet she doesn't have gams like Tina!!!).

I also have hundreds of vinyl albums of Earth, Wind, and Fire, Aaron Neville, The Commodores, Sly and the Family Stone, Jethro Tull, Joe Cocker, Beatles (every one I think), the Monkees, old Elton John, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and absolutely Led Zepplin!

I love the new stuff by Ludicris, Nellie, Usher, Blackeyed Peas, etc.

I also love U2, Matchbox Twenty, Van Halen, AC/DC, Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaugn, Santana, George Thourogood, No Doubt, Goo Goo Dolls, B52s,Screamin Cheetah Wheelies, Aerosmith, Black Crows,

When I get into an ancestrial mood it's Sarah McLaughlin, Asley MacIsaac, Loreena McKennitt, and anything Celtic.

In short, I listen to anything except country. Can't take that twang!

My all time favorite is ANYTHING by Jimmy Buffett. I can slip into Margaritaville anytime!

I used music to escape from memories for years. We all have. Music soothes the soul!

#122601 - 01/12/05 05:47 AM Re: music
Michael Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Claremore, Oklahoma
I have Leon Russell & the Shelter People on both vinyl and CD. Missed him last November when he played in Tulsa at the Cains Ballroom, which BTW is the home of Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

I love Jethro Tull. Each album is like a great symphony to me. I love singers/writers that can tell a story with song.

Saw The Neville Brothers, Dr. John, and B.B. King at the amphitheater in Little Rock about '98. My youngest son was in Jr. High and won a couple of tickets. Took him and had a wonderful time, but he got a real eye opening at how good music, summer nights, lawn seating, and alcohol effect adults!!! But a wonderful memory.

Being raised in the South, the TV was always on gospel music shows on Sunday mornings before church. So even though, I wasn't found of it then, I got to where I liked gospel music also.

In the late 70's I lived in Hope, Arkansas (home of world reknowned Klipsch Loudspeakers) and lived next to an African Methodist Episcopal Church. Every Sunday they would have what in the South is called "a singin". It was absolutely glorious sitting on the front porch of the house and listening to the harmonious and heartfelt gospel sounds all afternoon. Man that church would rock with soul and beauty!!!

#122602 - 01/12/05 06:30 AM Re: music
yesac76 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Idaho
Rich,
You don't like country. How do you feel about Licence To Chill by Buffett? It's a country record.

Casey

#122603 - 01/13/05 12:19 AM Re: music
FLRich Offline
MaleSurvivor

Casey,

Wife bought it for me, I listened to it once and haven't again. But a lot of Southern Roll is extremely close to country...L. Skinner, even Eagles are little country. So is Celtic music as Irish immigrants settled in the Appalachians.

Nothing is "wrong" with country (as if I can judge music for everyone). Just doesn't do it for me, but can certainly tolerate it! LOL

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.