Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
8 registered (Sojourn Survivor, aniceguy, lapchinj, 4 invisible), 16 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63580 Topics
444210 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#122510 - 12/09/04 08:51 PM a happy note
Brayton Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis
I work at a center for homeless teens. Many of them have run away from situations in which they were sexually, physically, and/or emotionally abused.
Now, many of them live on the street, where they are practically invisible (though people pass them every day) and where abuse is rampant. Sexual abuse and physical violence are not uncommon.

We've had some extra luck reaching out to people to support our work one way or another this year.

We've still a long way to go in educating people about what is happening but occasionally we get a gift with a note, that, however naïve, is touching.

One of our larger in-kind donations has come from a foundation that was set up by a woman in honor of her grandfather. She wrote,

"Grandpa was a farmer who never saw the likes of the inner city life, but I am confident that he would agree that cold hands are cold hands, that the desire to find work should not be hampered by appearance, and that everybody likes a nice, thick sweatshirt.

“May God bless your staff, your mission, and the kids.”

She left out any reference to abuse but, still, I think, has come a lot further than most people in her concious awareness of the terrible things that are happening to kids everyday.

#122511 - 12/09/04 09:22 PM Re: a happy note
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
That is so moving! I would agree with Grandpa.

I also could never imagine being on the street, what you do to take care of those kids is nothing short of heroic.

#122512 - 12/09/04 11:38 PM Re: a happy note
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Brett, hey thanks for looking after these kids, you do a great job, just hope the one's eligible can find you, just like this place to us.

Grandpa worked hard in the fields hands frozen, but he must have surely had the wish that that children would benefit from his legacy.

It makes me sad that the season of goodwill is so short and meaningless, why can we not have an eternal season of good will, as we were meant to live?

There are a lot of foundations who have lots of money for good causes left in legacy for projects such as the one you work for, seek them out, libraries or the internet can usually supply you with their addresses.

I work in a similar environment giving state benefits to kids, and those who have suffered in the past, I feel the hurt, but I somehow get a sense of deep satisfaction out of it, just knowing I can help the sick and injured kids.

take care,

ste

#122513 - 12/10/04 09:06 AM Re: a happy note
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Thank you for this. Truly, it is a warm feeling just reading it.

We all, all of us here, have something to give. Whether it is financial, or of our time and energy, or even if it is just a smile. That could be the one things that saves a life, that brightens a spirit, and strengthens a soul.

leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.