Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (Jacob S), 25 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63789 Topics
445456 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#122339 - 12/03/04 07:21 AM .
Soccer Kid Offline

Loc: Missouri

"Reality is just an illusion."

#122340 - 12/03/04 08:52 AM Re: .
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
My therapist did test me for DID, based on some of my history and what I tell her of. And I do have it. But I am glad you make the point to tell people to not diagnose themself. That can be very dangerous, I think, to play doctor on ourself while online. It is important to deal with it with a therapist.

leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#122341 - 12/03/04 05:15 PM Re: .
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I have read a decent amount about DID and psychology in general. I have come to believe that there is a sliding scale of DID. I don't think that it is something that you either have or you don't. Think about it, to some extent, everybody that you know has shifts in their personalities depending upon the current circumstances. When fully separate personalities arise, I think that it is just a more advanced form caused by the tares that are created within the mind from the operant and classical conditioning, eg the torture of the "tapes" and the abuse itself. I have come to believe that this same scale exists for many things. Bi- Polar, etc. I can see connections, links, between them where they become related to each other too. It is extremely difficult for me to explain without writing something extremely lengthy and referencing professional works.

#122342 - 12/03/04 06:59 PM Re: .
Soccer Kid Offline

#122343 - 12/04/04 02:15 AM Re: .
Soccer Kid Offline

#122344 - 12/04/04 07:36 AM Re: .
Soccer Kid Offline

#122345 - 12/05/04 07:15 AM Re: .
unknownsoldier Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northwest
I'm leery of the DES questionare myself, just because a therapist gave it to me and since I didn't score high on it decided that I was probably only absed a couple of times and told me so. I don't lose time or stuff like that, but I spent most of my childhood and much of my adulthood lost in a fog of daydreams. I was only really conscious for periods at my work in order to keep the job, which is why I hated working, because I had to be more present in my mind and it sucked in there. When I was a kid I often didn't know what was going on, what I was supposed to be doing, etc. Its not "classic" dissociation maybe, or just not something that shows up on that test. But it definitely had a huge impact on my life, and and also I was able to repress a lot, and my emotions are definitely separated from the memories. So I think there are a lot of ways that you can be dissociated and everybody puts together their own mental survival package.

All I'm saying is be thoughtful about tests.

Jim

#122346 - 12/05/04 07:35 AM Re: .
Soccer Kid Offline

#122347 - 12/05/04 10:36 PM Re: .
unknownsoldier Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northwest
Zach,

I guess my point was that diagnostic tests are designed to catch the most likely presentation of symptoms, and there's a lot of variation in human behavoir, so they shouldn't be taken as the final word.

Also, I guess there isn't anything wrong with that actual test, but how my therapist interpreted it. This has been my experience.

At work sometimes it takes me three or four times as long to do a given task, even though it seems to me that I was concentrating and working the same as I usually do. I am manufacturing a product, so I can measure the time and see my hands working on this tangible thing. There's no block of time that is gone, its just like time is running faster than it should. I don't remember seeing anything like that to check off on that test. I don't know what that is.

Anyway, is the book useful to you? What kind of treatment model is it?

Jim

#122348 - 12/06/04 04:29 AM Re: .
Soccer Kid Offline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.