Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
2 registered (susie, 1 invisible), 7 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64192 Topics
447955 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#122139 - 11/12/04 02:54 AM memory organisation
myquietspace Offline

Loc: adelaide, australia
does anyone else have problems remebering things, and keep them remembered? I have lots of gray areas and some memories are seeming to fall in and out of rememberance.

#122140 - 11/12/04 12:25 PM Re: memory organisation
learning2remember Offline

Loc: Europe
I can relate. My struggle with memory was the reason I first sought therapy. I wanted someone to bring all the memories back so I could know.

Doesn't work that way, though. Then, even if memory does come, as you said, a memory seems to fade sometimes.

It's tough because I feel like in my family where everybody denies everything I describe, my memories are my only evidence that something happened and the only proof that I'm not crazy.

Tough.

But I'm pretty cool with letting memory do it's thing. I've got no choice. My memory bank reveals what it wants to when it wants to, (read: what I need to remember and when I am ready to handle it).

I don't fully depend on memory to make my case to myself anymore, and that takes a lot of pressure off. THe problem with pressuring myself to remember is that I feel like I run a higher risk then of imagining something because I want so badly to have "evidence."

If figure now that if there is something in the recesses of my mind that my sould won't show me, then I'll accept that protection.

I've also learned that, since I once had a tendency to abuse myself, I really do need to make sure I can cope before new information comes along.

Ironic, isn't it? I want to know it all so that I can prove how wrong my brother and my mom were to me, but when I have gotten some scenes back in the past I punished myself instead of them. All the more reason to leave those memories alone until I can deal with them.

Anyway, back to your question. You're not the only one.

#122141 - 11/12/04 05:52 PM Re: memory organisation
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I have terrible memory problems of past recall too. I have only been able to remember things, by what you guys post in here. Things that trigger past events, and how I dealt with them.

You will get as much memory back, as your mind wants to let go of, or that's what I think.
I suppose the mind needs to order things, by capping tragic events, and letting them go, bit by bit.

take care,

ste

#122142 - 11/13/04 01:55 AM Re: memory organisation
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
"What was the question again?"

Oh, memory. I have a pocketful of lists and 'PostIt' notes stuck all over the place. My biggest problem is remembering names, which I find so annoying.

Dave

#122143 - 11/13/04 02:56 PM Re: memory organisation
Aden Offline

I can recite a seven digit number backward after several days. Memory is not all that it is cracked up to be. Some things are best forgot.

#122144 - 11/13/04 03:27 PM Re: memory organisation
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
i have really had to force myself to remember things - myself - my friends but slowly i did - but if i relax people are very annoyed with me when i do not remember everything about them that they have said to me about themselves-
it's not that i don't love them - names too i am horrible with -

but i just have to somehow force focus -

i hear you - i wish i were better at remember

when relaxed - and not so lazy it would seem or at least struggling with it -
m

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.