Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (pufferfish, The Seeker, aniceguy, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63372 Topics
443134 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#122011 - 08/05/06 02:04 AM Re: Chat problem
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Were there cost considerations driving the change in software?

Thanks,

Joe

#122012 - 08/07/06 02:13 AM Re: Chat problem
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
I think a very important issue is being identified when guys talk about how the new chat software allows you to scroll upwards and read conversations that occurred hours before you logged on. To my mind this is a really serious step backwards, an invasion of basic privacy, and not something we should have on a site devoted to sensitive abuse issues.

The new chat room basically means if you go in there you are talking not only to the guys who are there WITH you, but with every person who comes through the room over the next 24 hours. Even if the conversation is entirely innocuous it still strikes me as unsafe, and I am not really a survivor with serious safety issues any more.

It would be like holding an ordinary conversation with a friend in my living room. Would I agree to that? Sure, why not? But would I agree to hold that SAME ordinary conversation if the text were going to be posted on the Internet? Absolutely not.

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced this is a really fatal flaw and will have very bad effects on the usefulness of the chat room as a place where we can meet to talk.

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#122013 - 08/07/06 04:45 PM Re: Chat problem
ForeverFighting Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Mexico, USA
I agree with everything said. I was in a "state" a few days ago and decided to go into chat. It was weird. I couldn't tell at first who was there, because it had the chat from everybody who'd poked his head in the door for the last three days. It turned out I was the only one in there.

I understand Java is an issue, but this new chat system is shutting down the ability to talk. I'm not sure I understand the thinking behind the switch. I know there are lots and lots of chat applets out there I could put on my own site with which I'd feel more comfortable with than the this beta thing somebody decided to try.

The other thing that bothers me is that it involved registering with another site. The password came from a website registered as http://www.mjclement.com. Whois shows it registered to Michaeljohn C. Clement in Colorado. I don't see his name on the board of directors. The closest I can find is a name listed on the Advisory Committee as FBI Supv. Spec. Agent James Clemente with the footnote "*Institutional affiliation listed for informational purposes only". Is that the same guy? Or who is he? And why would he have access to our chats?

Just curious.

"This search for the truth--it's not for the faint of heart."--Goren on 'Law & Order: CI'
"The former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."--Isaiah 65:17

#122014 - 08/07/06 06:54 PM Re: Chat problem
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Guys,

Thanks from me also for providing your feedback here. I don't know how helpful I can be here but I'll try to get your questions answered. I've had a very busy summer in "real life"-- I wasn't able to participate in developing/testing the new chat software as much as I would have liked, and I haven't been in the chat room since the changes, so I'm going just by what you've said here about the way it's working.

So I hope if anyone else "behind the scenes" wants to correct or add to my post, they will.

First, I wasn't aware that previous conversations were being saved on the screen. I agree with you guys about the privacy concern and hope it will be resolved ASAP.

More upgrades were made to the chat last night which should have solved the "bouncing" in and out of chat-- is this still an issue for anyone?

My understanding about the "look" of the chat is that since we are in the process of re-vamping the look of the whole site, the new chat is still sort of a blank canvas which will take on the new design of the site once the development team comes to some consensus on that.

Michaeljohn has been making this site happen behind the scenes for a very long time and is currently leading the development team that is working on the new website. If any of you sent an email to the address I gave in the "chat room problem" thread a few weeks ago, he's the one who helped you out.

I'm sure there is no risk involved in registering for chat. I also know that as chat admin, Thad takes privacy and access issues very seriously. I'd encourage any of you guys who have concerns about that to get in touch with him.

Keep it coming, guys, and let me know if I missed anything. Our goal is to give you all the best site possible.

SAR

#122015 - 08/08/06 01:48 AM Re: Chat problem
Thad Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oakland, CA
Thanks Sar
and guys for your feedback

Yes, it has been a slow start with some glitches to be worked out - I'm sorry for that -

MJ has for many years been our behind the sceene person keeping our site up -

it was our intention to put the new chat program up about the time that our sub>

#122016 - 08/08/06 03:50 AM Re: Chat problem
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I agree with the other guys. The new chat is pretty discouraging to participate in. I have hopes that it will improve.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#122017 - 08/08/06 06:50 AM Re: Chat problem
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
I'll echo what the others above said. The fact that previous "private" conversations can be walked in on by anyone hours later is a major issue. I don't go to chat any more since the new format has come out. I hope it can be improved so we all can feel good about it and will want to use it. A chat function that no one or few will use will not be much good for the membership as a whole.

And now, on the positive side, I do thank everyone behind the scenes that is working to make MS a good, healing place. I know "thank yous" are probably few and far between for those who work in the shadows, but do want to say thanks for all you do.

#122018 - 08/08/06 08:28 PM Re: Chat problem
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
The chat, is an add on to the site.
It cannot be modified 'I think' by
the webstaff.

If I can find a better chat add-on, I
will inform the board, but I am discouraged
away from chat anyhow, notwithstanding the
difference in time frame from my country.

I have not even been there, but you guys dont
like the format, so maybe it needs a change of
software

ste

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.