Newest Members
baltimura, YotaD55, giant251, Casey_SC, Xr2
12375 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, 2 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12375 Members
74 Forums
63593 Topics
444250 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#121522 - 10/14/03 11:32 AM ok, my turn to need help with chat.
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
is there anyway to use a text reader with chat? I can use one in p2p but not the main room. I have inlarded the font but that can make it harder to read too.

#121523 - 10/15/03 12:05 PM Re: ok, my turn to need help with chat.
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Brian,

I rarely go on chat but I seem to remember that it is an applet.

If it is an applet, the applet needs to be coded to use the Java Speech API. You would need to make some changes on your end, too, like using the Java Plug-In rather than the browser's JVM and customizing the security settings. Do you get a SecurityException when you try to run in the Main room?

If the p2p works, it sounds like the applet is coded to allow accessibility or to use the Speech API. There is a AccessibilityBridge that is supposed to map directly from Java to native methods, too, but the docs on that seem old. It's all speculation unless I dig deeper, and I don't have a text to speech engine myself. I don't think I even have the sound card in my main machine.

Working intermittently (p2p and not Main) is a bitch to debug. Harder still without source.

Here are a couple URLs for more info on speech engines with applets.

HTH,

Joe

#121524 - 10/15/03 06:12 PM Re: ok, my turn to need help with chat.
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
I've gevin up accessibility for the most part. I'm looking for a 3rd party text reader that will allow me to continue using chat.

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.