Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447593 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#121497 - 02/25/03 11:19 AM Definitions & Slang
Chey-Wy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Lloyd and other members,

I was reading a post today "Is calling SA rape the wrong term?" It got me to thinking about trying to come up with something, that when new members and guest, coming into the forum for the first time, could look at to find definitions to some of the words & slang that are used here at Male Survivor.

Personally, I think it should be it's own seperate forum and be placed at the top of the list of forums. It would be the first topic that that people would see when they first enter the discussion boards.

I would like to see the list include definitions for the following words:
  • NOMSV
  • UBB code (for Victor) :p (actually I made a mistake on this one.) The smiley face should be Graemlins and UBB code should include a link how to use them.
  • EMDR
  • Perp.
  • Sexual preditor
  • Discussion board: Commonly called the just the board ....
  • S. A.: Short for sexual assault
  • T.
  • Rape
  • Sexual Assault
  • molestation
  • Prifessional insest (a new term that I heard the other day) It described how Professionals are often looked at as a substute for parents by victims. That is why so often they gain our trust. But then they abuse that trust when they engage in sex with us ( from Advocate Web)

This list is by no means complete. Feel free to add your own definitions.

Also, if someone has a question about a word that was used either in chat or on the board they could ask it here.

Just my thoughts,

John

Yeah, the good Lord gave us mountains,
So we could learn how to climb

#121498 - 02/25/03 06:43 PM Re: Definitions & Slang
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
John, that's a great idea that's surely needed.

If we carry on this post for a while then someone, any volunteers ? , can sort it all out and we'll find a place to put it where it's easy to see.

A couple of other sites I use that use the same software have posts locked at the top of the forum giving advice etc to newbies.
I'll see if I can do it here John.

Dave

#121499 - 02/25/03 10:06 PM Re: Definitions & Slang
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
John: Nice idea--and very funny! :p \:\)

Dave: Check PMs.

Victor

#121500 - 02/27/03 01:24 PM Re: Definitions & Slang
Chey-Wy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Dave,

You asked for volunteers. I guess that since I was the one with the idea I had better be the first to put up my hand. If you want me to start something in general membership I can. Then I can compile a list of the definitions that we need to come up with definitions for.

A few things that I thought might be helpful. The person asking for the definition could give some reference as to where they saw the word used it would be helpful. For example talking in chat with _____ (persons name). That way if we needed we could P M that person and ask them about the word they used.

I guess I have my own definition for many of the words used. Like Perp. However, my definition would not be appropriate to be printed for someone wanting to learn about our web sight.

Get back to me about this. Either here or through a private.

Thanks,

John

Yeah, the good Lord gave us mountains,
So we could learn how to climb

#121501 - 02/27/03 06:56 PM Re: Definitions & Slang
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
John
the temptation to put -"Perp. The ******** lowlife ****** scumbag who ******* me and I want to ****** in hell !" is great, but I suppose we'll have to stick to "Perpetrator" \:\(

But we do need to gather in all the obscure ones, see Wuamei for some of those \:D

And yes John, please feel free to go ahead and put a post on the main forums and ask for suggestions, and then we'll knock them into a list and post it somewhere prominent.

Thanks for the suggestion and the offer, I'll look for a place to put it shortly. ( Remind me if I forget )

Dave

#121502 - 02/27/03 08:17 PM Re: Definitions & Slang
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
I'm willing to contribute a list of abbreviations or words. Some are kind of my own mixtures, but many were commonly used on other sites I've participated in. Might take a day or 2 to get to it tho.

Victor

#121503 - 02/27/03 09:18 PM Re: Definitions & Slang
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
This all sounds good to me. I'd like to suggest maybe a new Public Forum group where only the mod's could post a thread and no one could reply (the later would be like the Stories forum, no one can reply).

This could be a parking place for the acconym/slang definitions. Could also be a place for newbie info and how-to's, etc.

Sort of a spin off of the idea where some other forums have permanent threads parked at the top of a given group.

jer

#121504 - 03/05/03 01:30 AM Re: Definitions & Slang
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
IRL - In Real Life

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.