Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluesky (44), Brother B+ (48), emal7717 (53), estuardo (52), kwf777 (56), LeeAnne (30), mapleleafsn (52), otherside (61), ronnie (59), Scott1962 (52), thrive-n-survive (42), tom3065 (36)
Who's Online
4 registered (tbkkfile, traveler, 2 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63561 Topics
444086 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#121471 - 01/26/03 05:18 PM Polls
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
What do you have to do to get authorization to use polls here? Or are they enabled; don't think I've ever seen one here.

No big deal, just have some ideas (ok you've been warned :p )...

Victor

#121472 - 02/07/03 07:15 PM Re: Polls
Chey-Wy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Victor,

I was wondering the same thing. I wanted to do a poll and got the message ...."you are not authourized to do a poll."

I can see the need for not allowing just anyone to do a poll, but what about haveing a set of guidelines that would need to be met. Then submit your poll to the moderator of the polls, and let him see if the poll meets the guidelines.

I guess that we have the option to "create a poll" but while the link is there .... we cannot do it.

I also enquired to see what needed to be done to create a poll. Haven't heard back yet.

John

Yeah, the good Lord gave us mountains,
So we could learn how to climb

#121473 - 02/08/03 12:26 AM Re: Polls
Wuamei Offline

John, who did you contact about it? I've been in touch with Fred, but we're in no hurry as I've not yet narrowed down a specific idea for a poll to show him. Did you have anything in particular in mind? Have you run it by him?

I don't know if there's any actual written guidelines or anything. Doesn't seem like polls are used here much, unless they are erased after use, becuz I've not seen any going back thru old posts, and I know none have been done since I came here last August.

I'm interested to see what you have in mind for this...

TC & TTYL

Victor

#121474 - 02/08/03 12:23 PM Re: Polls
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
I've often wondered what the Poll thing was about, mostly what the results looked like. I've also wanted to post my own poll with questions about sa, the issues and recovery.

I suppose one could start a new topic with POLL in the topic.

jer

#121475 - 02/08/03 05:53 PM Re: Polls
Les_Angry Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think sometimes it would be easier to answer an anonymous poll than to write out a post or a response on any given topic. So many times on the website I have wanted to say "me too" to what has been written, but I just haven't had the time to do it. I think its probably a good way to give a voice to anyone too intimidated to post, or to someone with limited time available to share thier experiences.

Mo Healing

#121476 - 02/09/03 05:37 AM Re: Polls
Jess Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Because I am not exactly sure what you are talking about I wrote down a few dumb questions:

1. What's a Poll?
2. Who makes them up?
3. What are they used for?
4. What does a typical poll look like?
5. Are there other MS polls somewhere?
6. If so, where?

Anybody have any answers to these dumb questions?

Thanks, Jess.

#121477 - 02/09/03 09:14 AM Re: Polls
Wuamei Offline

Quote:
Because I am not exactly sure what you are talking about I wrote down a few dumb questions:
Jess these are smart questions, becuz you don't learn if you don't ask. I'll try to answer them.

Quote:
1. What's a Poll?
It's sort of like taking a survey, where you put out a group questionaire, simple questions anyone in the group who wants to can answer.

Quote:
2. Who makes them up?
Speaking only to what happens here at MS, my understanding is that anyone (or at least any member?) can present an idea for a poll, which would have to be approved by and then posted by the administration/webmaster. I'm waiting to here more on this.

Quote:
3. What are they used for?
Usually they are used to, using one or just a few short questions on one specific topic, to find, for instance, percentages. An example under #4...

Quote:
4. What does a typical poll look like?
Who Sexually Abused YOU?

(Please check all answers that apply.)

___ My mother

___ My father

___ A sister

___ A brother

___ Step-parents

___ Step-siblings

___ Grandmother

___ Grandfather

___ Other relatives

___ A friend of yours

___ A friend of the family

___ A professional (medical, clergy, etc.

___ A boss

___ A co-worker

___ A stranger

___ Other

You would count the totals checked by everyone
then come up with and post the percentages.
Categories could be made less or even more specific. This would serve as kind of a summary of what has happened to us as a group, offering some sense of empathy & understanding, and also giving us stats on what we're up against. It is of course mostly informational, but they say knowledge is power...

Quote:
5. Are there other MS polls somewhere?
I've not been able to find any? Does anyone remember a poll having been done here?

Quote:
6. If so, where?
See above.

Quote:
Anybody have any answers to these dumb questions?

Thanks, Jess.
Again, not dumb questions at all. Thanks for asking. Hope my answers helped a bit. I'm sure more will be forthcoming from those who know more about this than I. Take care.

Victor

#121478 - 02/09/03 04:53 PM Re: Polls
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
I've just had a look and it appears that I can post polls on some forums, Male Survivors certainly.

So if anyone has any ideas then let me know and we'll have a go.

I don't know if there's anything we should avoid or at least be wary of, let me have your views on that as well.
I do wonder though if the relativly small number of users, nearly all with the same background and problems, would result in poll results that were biased and unreliable, and maybe of more harm than good to us ?
I don't know at all, but if there is anyone out there with knowledge of surveys and polls perhaps they could guide us.

Dave

#121479 - 02/09/03 05:08 PM Re: Polls
Wuamei Offline

Dave I'm willing to wait for further advice & feedback on this. Polls can be a touchy thing. My intention would be to gather knowledge that might give us some sense of power, commonality, and encouragement. No hurry, tho.

Victor

#121480 - 02/22/03 09:20 PM Re: Polls
Chey-Wy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Victor,

Dave,

I thought that the sample poll that Victor did was great. My only addition to that list would be
  • I had multiple perps.

and if the person did have multiple perps, would there be a way to vote for each perp. I know some people could use that to sway the results but in the case of Ted .... he was a member of the church I attended, he was a Medical professional, and he was a customer of my company.

He used each position to take advantage of me.

Maybe under the other could be a space to enter the specific other and then the poll could be added to every so often.

Perhaps before the poll would run you could do a sample poll .... Pose the question and then let people put possible responses' or if they have a response to add they could add it. Run the sample poll for two weeks before the question is put into the form of an actual poll.

I know I am creating work for someone, but the moderator of the poll could go through the responses' and come up with the questions and answers that would include as many people as possible.

Just my thoughts ... for what they are worth,

John

Just my thoughts

Yeah, the good Lord gave us mountains,
So we could learn how to climb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.