Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
chrisH (34), Malaki619 (32), worcester2003 (51)
Who's Online
8 registered (Cam76, lapchinj, CafeMan, 4 invisible), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62510 Topics
438081 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#115788 - 09/09/03 09:10 PM Benefits of a group?
helpmystephen Offline

Loc: nyc
Hello,

My husband is having a reaaly rough time. He has been in therapy for a little over a year and he has not made much progress. I have been aksing him to consider a group situation. Can anyone please share their experiences. Thank you.

#115789 - 09/10/03 09:58 AM Re: Benefits of a group?
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
HelpMyStephen,

Has your husband considered SIA (Survivors of Incest Anonymous) meetings? Our defintion of incest is any sexual encounter by a family member or extended family member (parent, sibling, aunt/uncle, teacher, coach, leader of some sort) that damaged the child. I attend one weekly and I find it very helpful. The meeting format precludes "cross talk" or commenting on another person's sharing. No advice, no comments, just listening. I'm at the point where I'll ask some people for advice after the meeting, but during the meeting we hold to those rules.

My group is mixed, male and female survivors, gay and straight. Some meetings aren't, but your husband may be in luck. I had to call and wait for a mailing of meeting contacts to arrive. NYC meetings are listed online , including a men only meeting on Fridays. Maybe they picked Friday to avoid conflicts with Giants/Jets games!

I hope that's helpful.

Joe

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.