Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
7 registered (Greg56, 1lifenow, Jim1961, BobdaFarmer61, bcl092, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63575 Topics
444166 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#115782 - 08/12/03 08:28 PM NYC Group Therapy for Male Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
MS Admin Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Therapist: Martin Walker, Ph.D.

Men who have experienced sexual -or severe physical- abuse as children face a unique set of challenges around social definitions of masculinity and issues of intimacy. As an adjunct to individual treatment, this group composed of men who have been abused will provide a safe social context in which feelings of isolation, sham, fear, sadness, and rage can be expressed, explored, and overcome. Furthermore, the group will encourage a process of mutual therapy between participants in which those who identify with others experiences can provide unique and invaluable insights into the healing process. The group is also be diverse in terms of ethnicity and sexual orientation in order to maximize opportunities for learning from the experience of others.

After training with Ellen Bass (Co-Author of the?The Courage to Heal in the 1980s, Martin Walker, PhD. has worked with both male and female survivors of child sexual abuse and run both therapeutic and theme centered groups for 15 years. A member of the Sexual Abuse Service of the William Alanson White Institute for Psychiatry, Psychology and Psychoanalysis, he has presented at a National Organization of Male Sexual Victimization (Male Survivor) conference, and recently spoken about sexual violence against women.

Group duration: 1 year, with an annual renewal.

Fee: $50.
Schedule: Thursdays 7:30PM to 9:00 PM.

Contact: Martin Walker, Ph.D. at 212-769-9163 or walkerdoc@aol.com

Please read the faq's for answers to the most commonly asked questions.

#115783 - 08/12/03 09:18 PM Re: NYC Group Therapy for Male Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Looking at the area code, it appears to be NYC. Just in case anyone was wondering...
Ken

#115784 - 08/13/03 10:25 AM Re: NYC Group Therapy for Male Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
It appears that I didn't see the NYC in the heading. Duh!!!

#115785 - 09/02/03 07:05 PM Re: NYC Group Therapy for Male Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ken,

Just had to thank you for allowing us to see your human side--some of us think of you as somthing on the "super" order--you could have just edited your original message and we would have never known. But, then, you already knew that, too.

David

#115786 - 09/02/03 07:50 PM Re: NYC Group Therapy for Male Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

MS's

I just PM'ed Martin Walker about his group, asking him if he knew of one here in Portland, OR. I guess I should have asked him publicly, here, in order to have a larger audience, so, in that sense, I'd be asking everybody.
I'll figure out the use of this site, yet.
So, if any of you know of a group, here, great. If not, maybe we need to contact our own therapist to lead one.
Anybody interested?

David

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.