Newest Members
TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo, Laurie
12485 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
era1 (31), GregoryP (50), GregoryParcell (50), junior (54), KDW78 (36), nansogre (48)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, 3 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12485 Members
74 Forums
64148 Topics
447575 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#115614 - 01/25/02 05:46 PM Finding a group or therapist
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
If you look hard enough, you can find support

Some areas are worse than others, but if you
really ask around, talk to people, you can find someone who can help you. If there are no groups in your area see if there is an interest. I called around to therapists in the area one time. Do what you need to to get better. You do need to contact others somehow. ymca, ywca, rape centers, hotlines sometimes can give you numbers. Look for resorces around you, you may be surprized at what you find.

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#115615 - 01/25/02 06:46 PM Re: Finding a group or therapist
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
Michael,

I agree wholeheartedly. The local rape crisis intervention center here has had male only groups from time to time. I didn't know until I asked. They don't have one going on right now but there are a few guys waiting, me included, ready to start.

The only way to find out what support is available is to get active and search and survey the therapists in the area. I know this is a stretch sometimes, it was for me. I'm finally able to ask for what I want, not stridently but with conviction. We need to build the support structure for the male survivor community ourselves, nobody else is going to do it for us. Male sexual abuse happens, too often unfortunately, and is nothing to hide. Staying silent about it is the way the abusers get away with it. Some things become less frightening when you bring them into the brightness of daylight, the abuse that happened to us is one of them. This forum is a great place to start but there is nothing like being in a room with fellow survivors, sharing our triumphs as well as our trials, offering and accepting support.

Above all else, take good care of yourselves, we are worthy of it despite the crap we've had to live through. We did live through it, that's what's important.

Steve

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.