Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63646 Topics
444504 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#115503 - 10/31/03 09:37 AM Re: Looking for Florida group
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ken,
Are you for real? You can't find good therapists in your area? I only say that for two reasons. First, you are in a very wealthy area, and it is my experience that where money is, so are the therapists who survive off them. Also, were you leaning towards a certain type of therapy? Was you search too focused whereas resources couldn't identify your need with certain competent therapists?

What about trauma recovery? I got in touch with my therapist after seeking EMDR therapists, and the one I am working with has had extensive work with multiple personalities, dissociated people, abuse victims, combat veterans, and others who have been "traumatized". It just amazes me that you couldn't find anyone.

I don't know if I've stepped over the line with my assumptions. I'm sorry if I did.

Alfred

#115504 - 10/31/03 12:32 PM Re: Looking for Florida group
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ken,
Just realized something. One of the connections I had when searching out new therapists was when I called the RAINN hotline (The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network). I just NEEDED to talk to someone one day, found this number online, and called. A lady only 40 miles away picked up. The hotline seems to transfer you call to local contacts. She made calls for me, and when she had called some that were willing/able/competent in the area of sexual abuse, she called me back. When I called them, I also asked about other references. Got more info then.

The number is 1.800.656.HOPE. Give it a try. You might be surprized.

Alfred

#115505 - 10/31/03 07:01 PM Re: Looking for Florida group
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
RAINN has an impressive referral network. They route the call based on the area code of the caller to an agency that is on call for such calls. Certainly worth a try.

Even if the agency/therapist is not that experienced with male survivor issues, they are experienced in sexual abuse and that's usually a good place to start.

Remember to check out "The Consumer's Guide to Therapist Shopping" as you are the consumer.

Good luck,
Ken

#115506 - 11/01/03 10:50 AM Re: Looking for Florida group
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Thanks for all the replies.

I have seen 3 therapists in my area, each was good and had something to offer to assist in my recovery. For 2 I was the first male survivor they had ever worked with, neither was a new therapist. For the other he had worked with children who were survivors, but I was the first adult. None of them knew of any other resources in this area.

This part of Florida is filled with many midwestern retirees, so it is like living in central Indiana in 1958. Denial is as thick as the August air. After looking for 2 years to find a group and trying to start one with one of the previously mentioned therapists, I decided to strike out on my own. After a year of adverstising, I have 4 men wanting to meet with me. Would it be good to have a therapist guide us? Yes. I am willing to wait for one to be found? No.

I am aware of the problems with the path I am on, but it looks to be the only one leading out of the woods. Who knows, perhaps a therapist will find us. If that happens I am sure we would welcome their input.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."
� Rabbi Hillel

#115507 - 01/03/04 07:13 PM Re: Looking for Florida group
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Bradenton, FL
We are still meeting and others are welcome to join us. Every other Sayurday. Next meeting is Jan 10.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."
� Rabbi Hillel

#115508 - 01/10/04 07:25 PM Re: Looking for Florida group
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm bummed because I wish there was something closer. I live on the other coast. I travel, but that's a hard trip.
Alfred

#115509 - 01/30/04 11:30 PM Re: Looking for Florida group
cyrus Offline

Loc: Miami Beach
I live in Miami and if anyone "discovers" a group in either Dade or Broward, I'd love to hear about it. Maybe there are enough of us in SE Florida to start one?

Cyrus

#115510 - 01/31/04 01:31 AM Re: Looking for Florida group
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
Cyrus,
I also live in Miami but am not aware of any groups. Have you heard of Innermotion? They are a group of survivors that put on performances from time to time as well as some all day survivor workshops. It is for men and women most of the time, but a very good group. Innermotion.org is their website. I'm not sure when their next event is but the last one, I did volunteer chair massage there.

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#115511 - 02/01/04 01:18 PM Re: Looking for Florida group
cyrus Offline

Loc: Miami Beach
Hi Don,

I have actually heard of the Innermotion group before...I saw an article in the Miami Herald about one of their performances. I checked out the website and they have a workshop coming up on February 21 at the Unitarian Church in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm not sure that it's exactly what I am looking for...but who knows...maybe it is. \:\) I've copied their announcement here:

Public Service Announcement
*INNERMOTION MOVES ME*

Experiential Movement Workshops with Sharon Daugherty, M.S.
Founder & Director of Innermotion, The Survivor Dance Theatre Company & National Speaker

Saturday Unitarian Universalist Church
3970 NW 21 Avenue, Oakland Park, FL 33309
(Between Commercial & Oakland Park Blvds on
NW 21 Avenue, approx. 1 mile west of I-95)

10:00 am No Cost
to 4:00 pm For adult female & male survivors of incest and /or sexual assault. No art or dance experience is required.

This workshop will use art, music & movement to access & express healing. Designed for all body types, ages and abilities.

Bring a lunch & dress comfortably

***Reserve Your Space Today***
Call: 954-537-0636 (voice mailbox)
or send an e-mail to WorkShop Scheduling

I hope this is useful, or at least interesting.

Cyrus

#115512 - 02/01/04 02:42 PM Re: Looking for Florida group
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
Cyrus,
I've been to one of the workshops and it happen to be facilitated by my therapist which was good. Jeff went with me and so it was a very growing day for me when it was done. I really need to get to another one.

It did have men and women there which for me was great. The activities brought many things up in me which my therapist and I talked about in an appointment after that time.

I know most of the people in Innermotion from just being around them and they are a great group of survivors.

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.