Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
6 registered (Still, MrsC, sugarbaby, Sonata1, 2 invisible), 14 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63849 Topics
445832 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#115478 - 06/06/02 12:11 PM New Jersey Support Group
BCRCC Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Bergen County, NJ
To all those interested...I am currently running a group along with a male therapist for males sexually abused in childhood. The group is a 12-session weekly support group. The goal of the group is to provide acceptance, support, and validation. The group is run in Hackensack and is free and confidential. For more information, please contact the Bergen County Rape Crisis Center at 201-487-2227 and ask for Rachel R.

#115479 - 06/06/02 06:02 PM Re: New Jersey Support Group
contender Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Hi,

Your group sounds great but is the male therapist experienced in sexual abuse of males-how experienced are you in this area?

Since it is a twelve week program does this mean that a person tells his story each week with no week off for comments from the group on their reactions to the story just told?

Do you have to be in therapy to attend?

When will your group start?

#115480 - 06/07/02 11:27 AM Re: New Jersey Support Group
BCRCC Offline
MaleSurvivor

The group has already begun and, I'm thrilled to say, has been very successful. The male therapist has limited experience working with male sexual abuse, but has considerable experience working with trauma issues and running support groups. I have done research on male sexual abuse and have experience working with male survivors through my work at the rape crisis center.

The group is a twelve sessions group and each week a different survivor has the opportunity to share his story with the group. After he has the floor, the other members provide feedback.

The group has been so successfull that we will either extend it or begin another group of sessions. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me at the rape crisis center at 201-487-2227.

#115481 - 06/07/02 11:47 AM Re: New Jersey Support Group
contender Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Hi BCRCC,

Can you tell me what you mean when you say the group is "very successful", I guess that suggests that people are getting a lot of the group, what comments have you heard so far from the members.

#115482 - 06/07/02 12:39 PM Re: New Jersey Support Group
BCRCC Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi Contender,

The men have said that they feel supported and validated by being in group. Even though they're talking about painful experiences, they have said that they look forward to coming to group. Group members have also bonded with one another. Before most of them knew no other men who were survivors, whereas now they do.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.