Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63212 Topics
442011 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10274 - 04/24/03 07:01 PM The Wolf Pack
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Some of you here at MS, especially if you are new or don't come often, may be wondering what all this talk is about wolves and our being a wolf pack.

This has been a recurring theme at least since I've been here at MS.

The first time I remember it coming up was, interestingly enuf, when we were invaded last fall by a perpetrator of sexual abuse by the name of Lion Cub, aka Lyin Cub.

Wolves are known to drive away mountain lions since they compete for food, and these lions will sometimes try to take the food out of the mouths of wolves, even kill their cubs. Tho much bigger, cougars are at a disadvantage in a fight with a wolf pack. A wolf is capable of killing a cougar, and a wolf pack is more than capable in protecting themselves & their young against these predators.

Lyin Cub, and a few other predators since, have made the mistake of trying to penetrate our pack disguised as wolves, as survivors. He, they, were discovered & run off, banned from this Wolf Country called MS.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/faiqm/Grumpy_pugs.JPG" alt="" />

Thus we began to call ourselves wolves, a wolf pack which marks & claims its territory. A wolf may rub its lips and neck on a tree or against the ground to mark its territory, and wolves often scrape their paw pads on the ground (usually after they urinate) to mark a territory. This releases odours from the glands in the wolf's paws.

Our territory is MS, our “feeding grounds” & our “home turf.” It is protected by scent-marking, vocal communication and fighting.
Scent-marking – is the act of marking an area with body odor, scent from a gland, or urine or scat, which by the way is to put it in common vernacular dog shit, to be exact wolf shit.

Fittingly, our territory here is marked by our wolf shit against the bullshit or should I say lion shit perps try to perpetrate against us here on occasion.

Each wolf pack has it's own unique scent, that is the scents of the wolves within. We are no exception here. We know our smells & we can smell a perp, a lion in wolves clothing, a mile away. We warn & take care of one another, and run them off.

What the MS Wolf Pack is really all about is a togetherness that not only protects us but also provides for us support, nurturing, growth & caring as a group & for each one in his own recovery.

The wolf pack is what holds & binds us together united by & within our marked territory. “The pack that howls together, stays together.” Our howling, our communication, strengthens the social bonds between us as pack-mates, helps us warn & protect one another, keep each other informed of the food & shelter of each ones' ESH (Experience Strength Hope) and the valuable resources this site and it's participants have to offer each other.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/faiqm/Spring_Chorus_Howl2.jpg" alt="" />

The communal howling of a pack serves many purposes: assembling its members, sending out an alarm, warning off predators like lions, general communication with each other, advertising pack territorial claims, and simply a way of expressing pleasure & joy, having fun, laughing—“howling with laughter!”

We MS wolves do like to play & have fun too! Wolves ask each other to play by approaching one another, bowing down with its front feet on the ground, the tail up & wagging. We may yip, nip & even growl at each other playfully. Wolf pups are very playful, and adult wolves occasionally will play. Perhaps we adult wolves should let our inner wolf cubs out & just have a good time with them & with one another more often.

However, predators beware, that is not a playful growl you hear! That is the low-pitched growl of wolf warning & aggression. Becuz we wolves get our hackles, as well as our ears & tails, up at lions! Be totally convinced that a retreat from us "big, bad wolves" is the best option!

You see, we wolves are swift & silent. A lion can think their wolf disguise has worked & that they're infiltrating the pack, only to completely miss the swift & silent movements & gatherings of the pack on which wolf survival depends. Wolves run on only their toes, with the back parts of the feet raised off the ground. We are always on our toes & fast on our feet.

Above all else, wolves are survivors, we are survivors.

[img] http://members.aol.com/khanwe/Wolf_Photos/Minipack.JPG [/img]

“Wolves are equally at home on prairies, in forest lands, and on all but the highest mountains. In the winter they travel in packs searching for food. Small animals and birds are the common prey of wolves, but a pack sometimes attacks reindeer, caribou, sheep, and other large mammals, usually selecting weak, old, or very young animals for easier capture. When no live prey can be found, wolves feed on carrion (decaying flesh of dead animals). They also eat berries.”

“The den, or lair, of a wolf may be a cave, a hollow tree trunk, a thicket, or a hole in the ground dug by the wolf. In the spring, females have litters of one to eleven pups. Adult wolves sometimes feed young pups by regurgitating partly digested food for them. The pups normally stay with the parents until the following winter but may remain much longer. Parents and young constitute a basic pack, which establishes and defends a territory marked by urine and feces. Larger packs may also assemble, particularly in the winter.”

("Wolf (animal)," Microsoft® Encarta® Online Encyclopedia 2003
http://encarta.msn.com © 1997-2003 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.)

We MS survivors are at home all around the world. We feed on whatever we can find & need to survive. We adapt to living where we are & where we need to be. We do whatever it takes to survive. And to help each other survive by coming together as a pack. A wolf pack. A large one!

Just look at us & just listen to us howl:

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/refpages/RefMedia.aspx?refid=461549656&artrefid=761560395&sec=-1&pn=1

Victor

P.S. This is the biggest reason, besides just wanting a change, for my new avatar (signature picture)--this was the closest thing I could find to a wolf among the selections.

As to my new signature phrases, what else is new?

#10275 - 04/24/03 07:16 PM Re: The Wolf Pack
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Vic
apparently the last wild wolves were hunted to extinction in the UK a little over 100 years ago, but I have my doubts about that.......

Dave ;\)

#10276 - 04/24/03 07:37 PM Re: The Wolf Pack
Cement Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southern California
A striking coincidence has happened to me, onje i like very much.

For many years I saw myself as a dolphin. I had read somewhere that despite being intelligent social beings, dolphins could kill sharks by ramming them with their noses. I liked that.

As I grew older and started to put down roots (3000 miles from the nearest relative), the dolphin image wasn't quite fitting and I did not know why. I talked with my T about it, maybe two or three years ago. What do you think we said?

He said, "Why not a wolf? Wolves are family oriented, respectful and courageous, loyal, and you seem to be all of those things."

Since then I have re-viewed myself. Then, last fall, I just peed in a circle around my brothers here, and let out the howl that had been building in me since the wolf was first suggested to me those years ago.

I am proud to be part of this pack of non-judgmental, protective beasts.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

James

#10277 - 04/24/03 10:22 PM Re: The Wolf Pack
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Guys this is terrific. We are a wolf pack and we guard our own. We are also very protective of those that are sick.

Victor you continually amaze me. The wolf represents us in so many ways.

Where I grew up in Western Canada wolves were a common sight. There were northern wolves and brush wolves.

They are also contrary to popular belief a noble animal and very social.

Just perfect for us.

And howling at the moon can be fun

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#10278 - 04/25/03 12:51 AM Re: The Wolf Pack
RickL Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oregon
I like this.

It reminds me of something that happened only a few years ago. In wolf-like fashion, I stepped in to protect little Ricky against my dad when he and my mom came out to visit me. My dad was my abuser when I was little.

We rented a motorboat on a lake. I was in the boat, trying to figure out where the pull string was to start the motor. My dad, standing on the dock, started verbally abusing me for not seeing where the dam pull string was.

And I looked up at him with "wolf" eyes. With alpha authority, I calmly told him never to speak that way to me again. Then I "snarled" back at him his exact words, so that he knew I was up to his shit and would not take it anymore.

I got the boat started and we went around that lake, not saying a word. Yes, the adult Rick was in the driver's seat! We need to be wolves to protect the little guy inside!

Victor--I like your new mascot. Although it's a pretty "friendly" looking wolf. Actually, that's quite fitting for you! You're a wolf when you need to be--and a gentle nurturer at the same time--for all of us here, I'm sure the pack would agree!!!

Rick

#10279 - 04/25/03 06:18 PM Re: The Wolf Pack
Wuamei Offline

Dave, I think that nasty rumor about wild wolves being extinct in the UK may be right up there with that lousy gossip about what wolves tried to do to The Three Little Pigs and Little Red Riding Hood!

Don't take my word for it, check out the Looney Tunes that tell the real stories!

Or how about those ridiculous werewolf stories?

"Werewolves and the Big Bad Wolf helped induce generations of people to believe that the wolf was a snarling, lurking beast hiding in the forest waiting for someone to drop by for lunch.

Between 1520 and 1630, over 30 000 supposedly proven cases of werewolves were documented. Most of these people received harsh treatment from their persecutors.

The "Werewolves" may have suffered from a psychological disorder, called lcanthropy, or be under the influence of hallucinogenic drugs, or even have had rabies. Sometimes people who were up to no good skulked around in wolf skins, trying to scare the populous for their own devious reasons, this may have helped fuel the werewolf legend.

The interest in the myth of werewolves has been kept alive by tales like Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs. More recently by movies. The first Werewolf movie was titled "The Werewolf" and was made in 1913. Since then we have crowded into picture theatres to be terrified
by movies like "The Howling" and "An American Werewolf in London" and lots more."

(Excerpts from "Wolfweb" and "Wolves in Alaska")

Often what people actually saw were not werewolves
but real wolves, who are more human-like than most animals, and sometimes more human-like than animal-like:

Actually this wolf is probably just being playful
not menacing. Perhaps people have sometimes been envious of the wolf as well as fearful.

After all more people are attacked, and killed, by lions, tigers or bears, than by wolves. The chant doesn't go "Lions and Tigers and Bears and Wolves Oh My!"

It's those lions, those predators, we've really got to watch out for. And as Mike says, we do:

Also, as Rick indicates, the wolf is a very nurturing creature, as indicated by stories like these:

"No aspect of folk narratives attests as eloquently to the affectionate bond humans have felt with the wolf as does the extensive lore about humans and deities who have been nursed by wolves. The Romulus and Remus legend is one of the most famous examples. It is found in numerous ancient versions. There is an Irish legend about a king who was suckled by a wolf, and the well-known character, Mowgle, of Kipling's Jungle Books, was raised in the same manner. Kipling heard legends about wolves nursing human children during his childhood in India. In fact, his father had a post at the University of Bombay and wrote a book entitled Man and Beast in India which included remarks about these legends." (Wolf Song Alaska)

There are other stories of children being raised by wolves, there were several cases recorded between 1843 and 1933 in India. In 1920 a Doctor Singh brought back two girls to his orphanage who had lived with wolves. The oldest girl was eight and they walked on all fours at their time of rescue. They fed entirly on raw meat, and they lapped their water crouched on all fours. When they felt threatened, they hunched their backs, bared their teeth and growled." (Wolfweb)

Unlike the stories of "Big Bad Werewolves" the stories above (from Wolfweb) are true. Not even among apes are there as many well-documented cases
of raising humans as among the wolves.

For as James indicates, the wolfpack is very much
a family unit, intimately bound together for nurture, support, feeding, sheltering, protection,
etc.

Perhaps this is why people sometimes get the "wolf
envy" indicated in so much wolflore!

The kind of envy other animals like lions seem to have when they share territory with wolves. Envy of the wolfpack as a family, hunting & protective
unit that even they cannot penetrate.

And as Lyin Cub found out, any lion perps who try it here get this:

Wolves are as Mike & James say family oriented, social, noble & respectful, as well as courageous and loyal.

Not blundering idiots like in these stories:

"Folktales about the wolf which have international distribution reveal interesting patterns. In some cultures, such as in Russia, the wolf is often depicted as foolish rather than fierce, while the same tales in Germany and Skandinavia have the bear as the dupe. In one tale the wolf is the dog's guest at a party. The dog, wishing the wolf ill, gets him drunk so that the wolf sings at the top of his lungs, thus revealing his hiding place to hunters who kill him. To one who has had the experience of hearing a wolf "sing" it will come as no surprise that the distinctive howl of the wolf is one of the most remarked upon, almost hypnotic and magical qualities of the animal and could be, therefore, a major motif in a folktale. Other foolish wolf stories with international distribution tell of the fox who tricks the oafish and gluttonous wolf into a cellar where the wolf overeats so that he cannot escape his hunters through the opening by which he entered: then there is the story of the wolves who climb on top of one another to see what is on the other side of a wall: the lowest wolf runs away, causing all on top of him to land in a heap."

"Certainly this is not the cunning, rapacious wolf from whom the woodsman saved Little Red Riding Hood. But this is a widely distributed option for the character of the wolf in international folktales. That the wolf is depicted as a fool is not surprising, for what is feared is often belittled, and one way to negate fear is to attribute to that which is feared the exact opposite characteristics of those which it possesses. Thus, the wolf becomes a fool rather than an intelligent creature. However, intelligence is certainly characteristic of the wolf in other widespread folk narratives and folklore." (Wolf Song Alaska)

Yes my friends we are so much like wolves. Feared
& ridiculed when we should be given healthy space & respect. Our territorial boundaries invaded by lyin (lion) perps (predators) who seriously underestimate us to their own detriment. Belittled
by those to whom we try to tell our story, who should be trying to help us.

But also like the wolf, we are more & more respected & supported by many. More & more health care workers, politicians, lawyers, law makers & law enforcers, are listening to us & learning from us. Learning what survivors we are & maybe how to better survive themselves!

To paraphrase an old song:

"I am wolf, hear me howl!"

AAHHWWWHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Intruiging how so much of the new acknowledgement of us wolf survivors is taking place in Minnesota the only one of the lower 48 continental states of the USA with a significant wolf population. Also, interestingly enuf, the site of the International Conference in September!

What a gathering of the wolfpack that's gonna be!
I hope I can make it! I hope you all can!

"The wolf has coexisted with mankind for thousands of years and as each culture experienced the wolf, the folklore of that people reflected their feelings about the animal. Today in most of Europe and North America the wolf is a singularly sinister creature-one associated with mystery, power, danger, and sheer evil. But the wolf has not always been seen negatively. Groups who were primarily hunters or whose life style emphasized living intimately with nature viewed the wolf as a positive symbol. There is good evidence that when humans were hunters, they lived in peaceful and respectful coexistence with wolves. Only when man began to farm and raise animals did the wolf become his adversary, a threat to his very life (and livestock). The farmer or herdsman had to contend with the wolf as a predator, not fellow hunter, and he fully realized that the animal was as skilled and intelligent a hunter as he once had been. In many ways, the wolf's living patterns are more like those of humans than those of most other animals, and this may well account for his power as a cultural symbol. After all, man cannot domesticate the wolf as he has the dog, and so the farmer and the shepherd have had a good reason to be concerned."

No we cannot be domesticated! We cannot be tamed by our past perps or present predators. We cannot
be silenced by those who don't want the
"uncomfortable chore" of hearing about our abuse and helping us do something to put a stop to it once and for all. We cannot give in to those who find it easier to see us as the evil & troublemakers than the lions who abused us & who could abuse others.

As the size of our survivor wolfpack increases & our communal howl grows louder, we and our territory are & will be increasingly respected & protected. We can & will live at peace in & with the rest of the world. We will stand tall.

Dave: The wolf is still alive & well--even in England; for you are there!

James: What can I say brother wolf? You peed that circle around us last year to mark the territory against Lyin Cubs, and showed us the way. You are the wolf!

Mike: You are amazing as well brother wolf. Thank you for helping revive this symbol among us. BTW I read in an article that wolves don't howl at the moon becuz it would be useless. I agree with you, I think it's fun. Wolves do howl sometimes just for the fun of it. Heck I may go out and howl
at the moon tonight! Anybody care to join me?

Rick: Brother, I love your empowering story of how
you like a wolf stared & snarled down your father & would not let him hurt Little Cub Rick! Good point about each of us protecting the little cub inside of us. What an example of what survivor wolves do when dealing with perp lions.

Yeah my new mascot avatar icon was the closest thing I could find to a wolf. Maybe that can be remedied? Meanwhile it's pretty cool enuf.

Like wolves in general, I am really quite docile & have an aversion to fighting if it can be avoided.

However, I have even more of an aversion to perps
invading our territory, and when that happens...

Sometimes a picture says even more than a thousand words!

Victor

#10280 - 04/25/03 08:30 PM Re: The Wolf Pack
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Victor
what can I say after that ???

If you want to see what are possibly the best wolf photographs by a sensational photographer check out Jim Brandenburg at -

http://www.jimbrandenburg.com/gallery/wolves/wh01.html

The picture of the wolf peering from behind the tree won the Kodak wildlife picture of the year a while back and I have a big poster of it, landscape and wildlife photography is a passion of mine and this picture always moves me.

We were lucky enough to hear wolves howling when we stayed at Yellowstone Lodge once, an emotional sound in the dead of night.
But we've yet to see one in the wild.

Dave

#10281 - 04/25/03 11:23 PM Re: The Wolf Pack
Wuamei Offline

Dave thanks those are some neat pics.

Like you I've heard but not yet seen wolves in the wild. Just in zoos. It ain't the same. Like a caged survivor. Not where they belong at all.

Victor

#10282 - 05/09/03 04:38 PM Re: The Wolf Pack
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
As a young child I was afraid. I was afraid for too many years as a child so I grow up. Now at 19 I act like am 30, have no fun, dont play, rather boring person at times. Now that I am here I have my self acting more like a child no no a wolf pup. I see my self every night nipping at the old wolves in the chatroom. I feel a great sense of safety and love when I smell where victor has just marked. I know I am safe from all harm because I know sleep with the pack.

I have nothing to fear from anyone who may dare try to mess with me here. I may be alone but in the background I always hear my brother's howling. I know I will never be alone and I know that nothing will come between me, my brothers, and my healing. So my brothers it time you you to all come and play with this young pup. and victor I am already nipping at you so lets go play \:\) -

You will always be my pack, Nathan aka young pup

#10283 - 05/09/03 11:36 PM Re: The Wolf Pack
Wuamei Offline

Nathan:

Sounds like fun young wolf pup!

Victor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.