Newest Members
baltimura, YotaD55, giant251, Casey_SC, Xr2
12375 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
josacam (51), PhillyPa (39), sum1sun (39), time2heal (40)
Who's Online
3 registered (thrive-n-survive, lapchinj, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12375 Members
74 Forums
63593 Topics
444258 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#366884 - 07/29/11 07:37 AM Physical pains, bodywork and recovery
EdfromNYC Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York City
I am wondering if anyone has gotten any kind of body work to relieve old tensions or old ways of holding their body due to emotional/physical/sexual trauma. I have had for many years tightness in my lower back and tightness in my pelvis and its due to not being comfortable with being sexual. I have no doubt on this. It also shows up as neck pain.

Earlier this week, my lower back and hip went into spasm and I have been working all week to stretch and try to ease the pain. I am looking into Rolfing to ease the inner tension. I've done emotional work, talk therapy and I am at a decent point and I need relief from not being able to be sexual and I know that bodywork is necessary.

I am going to be somewhat upfront with practitioners until I find one who I feel is comfortable with what I am seeking. I have found literature that Rolfing is good for freeing the body from this type of trauma. I am wondering if anyone else has pursued any kind of touch therapy for recovery. I am going to work with a man since my main problem is repressing my sexual energy around women due to my mother's outright rejection of my being a boy/man and being sexual.

#366888 - 07/29/11 08:02 AM Re: Physical pains, bodywork and recovery [Re: EdfromNYC]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
Yo Ed
Have the same in my shoulders, major tension, never relax. Best for me so far have been acupuncture, and chiropractors. I know that the acupuncture will work for you as it stimulates nerves to relax, the chiro might help for the lower back. I know that you think it isn't the spine but the realignment of the spine also helps to relax the muscles.
Also Try NLP (Neuro linguistic programing) it might help to stimulate the mind and body to relax when you feel the tension coming on. It is something that you can do yourself. Let me know if you need more help.

Heal well
Martin

#366889 - 07/29/11 08:02 AM Re: Physical pains, bodywork and recovery [Re: EdfromNYC]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Hi Ed,

I too suffer from body memories, physical presenting symptomatology of the abuse that I am reminded of when I exert physical stress on my body in certain areas like the lower back and abdomen.

There is stretching exercises that challenge those areas for me, the positions; pelvic curl, yoga bridge, and the pilates spine twist supine.

Please make sure you are ready for these low impact movements, if in doubt, get it checked out by a doctor.

Happy recovery Ed,
Sam

#366893 - 07/29/11 08:30 AM Re: Physical pains, bodywork and recovery [Re: SamV]
ACRoberts Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey (recently moved fro...
Ed,
I am currently in a series of 11 Hellerwork sessions. It is pretty intense, it is based on Rolfing (DEEP tissue work). Painful at times, but the physical / emotional release that I have had from it is incredible. I first went to the practitioner for Somatic Experiencing work and he is fully aware of my history. I decided to try the Hellerwork and I am really sold on it. Send me a PM if you want the name of the practitioner, who is located on Broadway. All the best in your healing process!

#366896 - 07/29/11 09:28 AM Re: Physical pains, bodywork and recovery [Re: ACRoberts]
EdfromNYC Offline
MaleSurvivor

To add to this, I just purchased a book that should be delivered today called "Out in the Open: The Complete Male Pelvis". I need physical recovery badly.

Just the few responses that I am getting has affirmed my choice to do this so thank you. I am so effing sick of being ashamed and closed off from my sexuality and suffering the aches and pains due to chronically holding my body in wrong, tense ways.

I feel ready to give myself this treatment.

#366897 - 07/29/11 09:31 AM Re: Physical pains, bodywork and recovery [Re: whome]
EdfromNYC Offline
MaleSurvivor

Martin, I appreciate your insight on spinal issues. That might be a solution. I've thought about a chiropractor - that was my first idea.

I was going to PM you on the NLP but I figured others might benefit from it so I am asking publicly where to find help. If it is something to discuss privately, please PM me.

#366925 - 07/29/11 06:06 PM Re: Physical pains, bodywork and recovery [Re: EdfromNYC]
EdfromNYC Offline
MaleSurvivor

I made some appointments today for consultations for next week. I know this will help. I feel shut off from myself and my body and I want this healing.

I haven't had sex in over 10 years, I'm ashamed to say. I've agonized and analyzed and been somewhat paralyzed by my own thoughts and worries and fears and I feel like I've been trapped in my own body. I can't live with this vital element of being sexual not being a part of my life. I deserve to have relationships and to not try to figure this all out on my own and repair in private and not ask for help.

#409533 - 09/08/12 07:01 PM Re: Physical pains, bodywork and recovery [Re: EdfromNYC]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Ed,

I just posted in another thread about the physical misalignments I experienced as a boy.

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=409532&#Post409532

I think these issues are strongly related.

Puffer

#409864 - 09/11/12 10:00 PM Re: Physical pains, bodywork and recovery [Re: EdfromNYC]
Ninja_Turtle Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I had great results initially from a chiropractor.

Over just the last two months I have benefited enormously - so much that I almost can't believe it - from three things:

1) Yoga. I do it at home using a DVD, "Rodney Yee's Yoga for Beginners", which is a perfect start for someone who's never done it before. It's like 9$ on Amazon, and you don't need any equipment whatsoever, just a floor that's comfortable enough to sit and lay on. Even doing just ten or fifteen minutes of the basic poses will do wonders for removing tension from the body. You will feel your posture and body alignment change dramatically and be much healthier after just a week or two of practice, and the results only increase from there. I especially recommend the "hip opener" exercises, as the hip muscles and joints are traditionally seen as particular storehouses for histories of trauma, fear, anxiety, and other negative emotions. The hip openers are also great for relieving back, knee, and foot discomfort. My knee pain vanished once I started doing them.

2)Minimalist shoes, which are meant to provide the experience of barefoot walking while wearing shoes. They are based on the idea that most shoes put the feet, and thus the rest of the body, in wrong or constrained positions. I have a pair of Luna sandals for casual wear and Vivobarefoot's Dharma for work. They take a couple of weeks to get used to, but as with the yoga you will feel your whole posture change and your muscles relax generally once you adapt. Normal shoes with heels induce slouching, you can feel the difference immediately when you switch back and forth.

3) Moving away from sitting in chairs with backrests, or if I use them, sitting at the edge so that I am not leaning back. As with normal shoes, there's mounting evidence that sitting in chairs is just bad for you in all sorts of ways. Mass use of chairs is a relatively recent development in history: people used to use benches, stools, the floor, etc. It also takes some getting used to, but the more you move away from sitting and slouching in chairs, the more you will feel the muscle tension diminish in your whole body.

Just my experience, but I hope that it's helpful to someone. I've been thrilled to have discovered these things and wish I had known about them ten years ago.

All the best.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.