Newest Members
The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101, JCEldrid
12286 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12286 Members
73 Forums
63205 Topics
441957 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#352658 - 02/02/11 08:31 PM SpeyDay what?
speyday Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Idaho
My name is actually Mike but I decided to use SpeyDay for a screen name here. It's not really that catchy (and I'm actually a bit envious of 1AngryBadger (almost typed 1AngryBeaver...sorry) - that one is a classic (or hopefully soon to be wink Anyway, spey is a type of fly fishing using two hands and longer rods that can enable greater casting distances with less effort than traditional fly fishing. It is typically used in larger water for larger fish (I'm in the northwest so it's steelhead and salmon here). Part of the residuals from my abuse were me not pursuing activities and experiences that I really wanted to - mainly out of fear and the feeling that I wasn't deserving of such simple things. Spey fishing was one of them. So a few months ago, I just decided to do it. I booked a guide, got some gear and headed out to learn how to spey cast. It sounds easy and simple enough, but for me it was a big deal because trying anything new makes me apprehensive and uncomfortable due to fear of failure. Well, I not only learned to cast, but actually enjoyed myself, didn't fail and even ended up landing a 30" hen in the last run of the day. So long story short, that "speyday" was for me was a tipping point to start moving forward and not being held back by the fears and insecurities remaining from the abuse. Thanks for asking BTW...

Along a similar line, when joining this forum, I setup my signature block with a favorite line that one of my son's used to say - To fish or not to fish? What a stupid question. - and it really is, since the answer is obvious (to me at least). But in spending time on the MS board, I noticed most other signatures I've seen are philosophical, meaningful and relevant to our (somewhat) somber conditions. To me, looking to life beyond the impacts of the abuse is important and worthy of my attention and focus. The abuse related issues have consumed so much of my life already - hope for more is motivating, refreshing and therapeutic for me. I realize that there is a great amount pain, hard work and sadness that we have all faced and will continue to, but we all deserve more than the burden and guilt and shame and I'm happy to admit that. I'm curious what others think? Is my signature inappropriate for MS?, am I making light of our serious problems by redirecting to a seemingly mindless yet fulfilling activity?, or have I lost my mind and just need to get back on the river as quickly as possible? Note: The correct answer to the last part of the question is: YES and HELL YES.

Be well, be strong and tight lines.

-mike

#352693 - 02/03/11 09:47 AM Re: SpeyDay what? [Re: speyday]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
mike,

sig line inappropriate? NOPE!!!!

and here's why.... you're sig line doesn't have to be something really profound or whatever...

it seems like fishing makes you happy... if you're happy then that's a positive... to me, that would make your sig line a good thing...

not everything in life is serious... humor is also a good thing/needed in life...

i say leave it... i'm not offended by it at all and think it's a good thing...

todd

my story

my vlog

#352695 - 02/03/11 10:10 AM Re: SpeyDay what? [Re: speyday]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
You're right, Mike, in choosing a good tag line.

There is a time to laugh and a time to mourn. Perpetual mourning never helped anyone, but laughter can carry us across even the deepest ravine.

#352784 - 02/04/11 11:41 AM Re: SpeyDay what? [Re: speyday]
mike13 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California USA
Mike I love your signature block. I am still trying to find something I like. One of the things that has kept me out of a mental hospital is humor. I personally would rather laugh then cry any day of the week. I have done plenty of both however I am laughing more then crying so I am making process Mike

#352809 - 02/04/11 05:21 PM Re: SpeyDay what? [Re: mike13]
speyday Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Idaho
Mike, so are you implying that my fishing is humorous, because I take it _extremely_ seriously! wink It must be my casting huh? Well at least I don't have any snap-T piercings...yet.

Good news on the laughing more than crying. Now just figure out how to keep it that way for the coming days, weeks and years and you can move from survive to alive.

take care -mike

#352815 - 02/04/11 07:23 PM Re: SpeyDay what? [Re: speyday]
mike13 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California USA
Mike I ment the way some people react to it. My Father is a major league fisherman although catching still excapes him LOL. I am glad you have a release. I never developed the skill. My dad never touched me but he is very controlling and demanding. I am afraid fishing is just another case where I just didn't measure up. Maybe he should have thrown me back into the dumpster. Sorry to get so dark. I just woke up and am still trying to get my brain screwed on right. Have a great one Mike

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.