Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
3 registered (hike1972, 2 invisible), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63646 Topics
444503 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#260845 - 11/09/08 10:46 PM I need a book to read.
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
I read quite a bit but lately have been hit by a string of flops. I thought it would be cool to start a list of novels, that may or may not be related to survivor issues.

I also thought It might be cool to start an online book club. I don't know if any one is interested so i'm kind of just throwing this out there on whim. but if you are let me know.

Happy reading,
Christopher

#260849 - 11/09/08 11:54 PM Re: I need a book to read. [Re: theatrekid]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Memoirs of guys who successfully came through great difficulties in childhood is a type of book I have been enjoying.

Ones I have read and recommend:
The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer
Seminary Boy by John Cornwell
Angelas Ashes by Frank McCourt
Twice Adopted by Michael Reagan
The Tricky Part by Martin Moran
Breaking Free: My Life with Dissociative Identity Disorder by Herschell Walker

Not about a guy but a gal:
Miss America by Day by Marilyn VanDerber

#260870 - 11/10/08 07:41 AM Re: I need a book to read: [communal book reading] [Re: theatrekid]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
now there's a brilliant idea christopher!

communal book reading! yes!

why don't you choose one, then those of us who are interested can order it from amazon.com and begin reading it together. a chapter a week, and then follow up with a group discussion in chat. for those who could not make the meeting, a chat log would be provided so they could stay in the loop regarding the group's discussion.

that would really expand our personal perspectives, and help us come to understand the thinking minds of our fellow survivors.

how enriching! what a great way to bond beyond the issues that divide us.

yea, a male survivor book club..... i vote yes!

ron

#260888 - 11/10/08 10:28 AM Re: I need a book to read. [Re: theatrekid]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Christopher,

I'm an avid reader and blessedly so because with the few real resourses available to so many of us, reading actually saved my sanity as I was beginning to deal with my CSA. However, living in Québec it is very difficult to find English reading material. Consequently all of the books, or almost anyway, that I've read are in French.

I think that yours and Ron's suggestion is damn awesome and I for one am all over that. Where do I sign up??? Count me in!!!

#260893 - 11/10/08 12:39 PM Re: I need a book to read. [Re: joelRT]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
As a gradualtion present from my WoR I received a copy of "Rebuilding Your House of Self-Respect: Men recovering in group from childhood sexual abuse. Second Edition. By Tom Wilken. Published by Hope and Healing Associates Box 53, Erieau, Ontario Canada N0P 1N0 email: silencetohope@hotmail.com

I'm just getting into it, slowly as I am so full of happy tears from my weekend. Its Canadian, and from what I have read so far it is RIGHT ON!!!

Jim

#260900 - 11/10/08 12:59 PM Re: I need a book to read. [Re: Geeders]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
There is a great resource called the public library.

Most if not all of us have boundary issues.
Even here at MS with all the best intentioned helpers, fixers, social co-ordinators etc

"Where to draw the line : how to set healthy boundaries every day" by Anne Katherine.

C

Edited by ineffable (11/10/08 01:02 PM)
Edit Reason: bold book title for a bold premise

#260960 - 11/10/08 08:39 PM Re: I need a book to read. [Re: ineffable]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
A recovery book that you've probably never heard of is called, "Hush,Hush,Little Baby" (By Ellen Hahn).

One of my dual disorder favorites is called, The dark night of recovery, subtitled...Conversations from the bottom of the bottle (By Edward Bear).

For fiction/non recovery, (if you just want me to pick something off the wall) let's try, "A spell for Chameleon" (By Piers Anthony).

For non fiction, I might go for, "Once upon an island" (Author's last name is something like Connover) It has to do with Wallace Island...in Canada. (Possibly hard to find...I dunno...)

...And just remember, Life's too short to read bad books...!!!

Dust in the wind (Kansas)

island

#260970 - 11/10/08 09:06 PM Re: I need a book to read: [communal book reading] [Re: Sans Logos]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I like the book club idea too!

#261011 - 11/11/08 12:25 AM Re: I need a book to read: [communal book reading] [Re: mike5]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
i like the idea, as long as i can get hold of the book in my library or the cities libraries (or you give notice so i can try to get them to order it in) because i'm not made of money, but i don't want recovery books, i want novels, escapism, to bring new flavour and colour, we already talk about recovery

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#261022 - 11/11/08 02:20 AM Re: I need a book to read: [communal book reading] [Re: king tut]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
Awesome guys this idea was kind of spontaneous but if you guys really want to do it I could be up for it. I'm pretty busy but I think i could make time for an hour a week or so for a book discussion.

Lewis I agree with you lets do novels. Why don't we brainstorm when we could meet up, who is interested, and then lets pick a book. I think once we get going each time we finish a book some one else in the group could choose the next book.

All are welcome but I think we need at least six or seven people

I vote for Monday nights or Sundays to be our meeting nights.

lets put this together it could prove to be a promising thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.