Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
4 registered (traveler, Obi, CheerfulJohn, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64155 Topics
447647 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#255063 - 10/14/08 05:01 AM Re: Police conference [Re: G5]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
Dude! You're bad to the bone! I couldn't do that in a million years! Way to go, bro!

Now me, I wouldn't have the heebe jeebes, I'd have a gd nervous breakdown, but I do that just from having a cop behind me when I'm driving (part of the reason I stopped driving)! I'm sure you will do great though and it's nice to hear about them taking interest in something like this.

I almost said I wish I could be there to see you present, but I have major issues about police. I'd say I'll be with you in spirit but I'm not even sure my spirit has the guts to be there!
I'm sure you'll do great though. Good show! No shortage of heroes here at MS, I can sure say that!

Maybe some day I'll be one of em. Till then I'll just use folks like you as role models. OK, being realistic, how bout I just use Bevis and Butthead as role models and work my way up from there!lol

#255338 - 10/15/08 04:42 AM Re: Police conference [Re: blueshift]
Brian Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Upstate NY
Mike,

Good luck on Thursday! I look forward to hearing how it went! You’re going to do just fine!

I sent you a PM.

Brian

#255353 - 10/15/08 08:30 AM Re: Police conference [Re: mogigo]
arronb Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Perth
Hey Mike

Good luck tomorrow ... I know you'll knock em over with your unique style and presence smile

If it helps ... use the old 'imagine them sitting there in their underwear' bit ...
300 cops in underwear ... hmmm I can see the $$$ rolling in now for them calenders haha

#255790 - 10/17/08 01:23 PM Re: Police conference [Re: arronb]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
Hey Guy's, thanks to everyone for the well wishes and well, mission accomplished. Everything went great. It was a far more diversified group than I was expecting, Childrens aid was there, lots of care workers, government, a couple DA's and of course lots of police. My worries about the police was so unfounded. The guy that picked me up was great, he was so nice and friendly, I think he was a little more nervous than I was, I don't think he stopped talking for 10 minutes after he picked me up lol. As per Brian's advice though I made him laugh a few times and the conversation in went great. He was an investigator for the SA unit and I was so impressed with his empathy and caring, just an all around great guy.

It started out slow but after the boring "what we do" stuff was done, we got into questions from the audience and it picked up steam pretty quick. They were engaged and genuinely interested and I was also impressed with the range of questions, seemed like there was a lot of understanding about the issues and the questions were very in-depth. What you'd expect from people who work with survivors but don't quite have the understanding of exactly what is going on with us. Impressive.

Here's a question we got from a DA, he was trying a case and the victim had a recovered memory on the stand under cross examination, he told what the recovered memory was and then broke down on the stand. The DA said it hurt the case because this was not info that had been provided before trial and it was called into question why the victim had not revealed the info before trial. The DA wanted to know if this was common to have these memories just pop up out of no where. We answered him as best we could, yes of course to us this makes perfect sense but I can see how the "system" doesn't get what is going on.

I've been thinking about that one quite a bit, it was easy to tell him yes this can happen, I'm just not sure how easy it will be to get an entire system to accept and understand that this just might happen with these cases.

Anyway, food for thought eh.

So all's good, our message got out to a ton of care workers in March and now another part of the circle of those who deal with our issues have had a chance to hear it from survivor's. Feeling pretty good today smile

So, for the second time in a year our group got a standing O, and I got a pen and a mug grin

Thanks for the support guy's, love it.

Stay strong
Mike

#255793 - 10/17/08 01:32 PM Re: Police conference [Re: mogigo]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
mike, you just never know where the muses will appear! do you think they would buy that one? how about bridge in alaska!?

unfortunately, the judicial system is built on the theory of empirical evidence, and those of us who know better learned long ago to value the instinctual nature as well. that won't fly in courts.

if they are interested enough, they could fund a research study which could then be referred to in future cases.

you are an inspiration to each and all of us brother!

thanks for showing us how it's done,

have a day good man,

ron

#255801 - 10/17/08 01:47 PM Re: Police conference [Re: mogigo]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Bravo Mike, Bravo!

What was the name/nature of the conference? I hadn't heard anything about it?

Jim

#255820 - 10/17/08 02:42 PM Re: Police conference [Re: Geeders]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Thank You, Mike, for having the courage to do this in defense of the rest of us.

#255824 - 10/17/08 03:46 PM Re: Police conference [Re: mogigo]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
BRAVO!!
Way to go, bro! ..and all u got was a pen and a mug? no callendar? T shirt? oh well grin

#255891 - 10/17/08 09:58 PM Re: Police conference [Re: blueshift]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Great job Mike

Tom

#255893 - 10/17/08 10:13 PM Re: Police conference [Re: Muldoon]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Mike

Thanks for doing a good job for all of us.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.